What hops should I grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonos7

Reaction score
I'm just getting into brewing doing all grain 10 gal batches I like IPAs and ales.
I live in Vancouver, Wa. So far I have 3 cascade's 2 Brewers Gold 2 crystals and a Fuggle. If I keep planting 5 ft apart I have room for about 12 more plants any recommendations would be great.
Thanks

you might consider adding a centennial, and a high-alpha hop (nugget, newport, CTZ, chinook, summit, etc).

check out the comparison table linked in my signature - plenty of suggestions in there.

Magnum! Great bittering hop for German Brews and grows well
Nugget is a good one
Willamette
Centennial

So I went with alittle of everything growing 3 cascades 2 centennials 2 brewers gold then 1 of each crystal, Fuggle, Hallertauer, Nugget, Willamette, and I'm forgetting one of them. I got some old steel water line pipes and bamboo that I'm going to use to hold everything up, I'm going for 18 to 20 feet high, the poles look huge next to the house!!!

I wish I had your yard. Im going for 3 varieties, and that may be pushing it. I am not, however, going as high as you. So that takes some space out of the plan...

I have warrior, perle and cascade on order. Those are the ones I use most frequently. If I had more space, I would add centennial, nugget and maybe willamette.

I didn't think anyone used home hops for bittering because of the unknown AA.
i will certainly be using mine for bittering, once they're ready this fall. i won't know exactly what the AA's are, but i'll make an estimate based on average values. i'm not such a perfectionist that i'm going to not use something because i'm not sure whether it's 13% or 16% AA... my beer will either be a little more or a little less bittered than usual. i'll deal with it. and after a batch or two, i'll know which way they trend (more or less bitter than the average) and adjust accordingly.

sweetcell said:
i will certainly be using mine for bittering, once they're ready this fall. i won't know exactly what the AA's are, but i'll make an estimate based on average values. i'm not such a perfectionist that i'm going to not use something because i'm not sure whether it's 13% or 16% AA... my beer will either be a little more or a little less bittered than usual. i'll deal with it. and after a batch or two, i'll know which way they trend (more or less bitter than the average) and adjust accordingly.

+1 to that. Good advice.

sweetcell said:

Works for me.

I have established Nugget & Magnum plants and have been using for bittering for a few years now. I figure them to be about 10% AA and that seems to work.
FYI my research reveals that nuggets are typically between 12-15%, and magnum clocks in at 10-17% (see link in my signature). so your 10% is on the low side, not that it really matters much :mug:

I wish I had your yard. Im going for 3 varieties, and that may be pushing it. I am not, however, going as high as you. So that takes some space out of the plan...

I have warrior, perle and cascade on order. Those are the ones I use most frequently. If I had more space, I would add centennial, nugget and maybe willamette.

I might be growing mor than I need, But hey I'm sure I can trade for beer if I have to.

jonos7 said:
I might be growing mor than I need, But hey I'm sure I can trade for beer if I have to.

No such thing as too much. Imperial IPA. Monster barley wine. More than you NEED, sure... but not too much. Trade for other varieties. Trade for beer. Lots of options :)

Back