Lion Stout clone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loneoak

Reaction score
So, The Google is rather unhelpful with finding an AG reciped for a Lion Stout clone. I believe Lion is a Foreign Extra Stout. Good notes of coffee and chocolate, low on hopiness, slightly sour, slightly sweet, and does not have the character that SWMBO calls "stinky foot beer" that might otherwise be called "excessive dryness." My favorite stout by a long shot.

Does anybody have a clone repice or has a recipe for something similar? Or even hints about what kind of grains I might aim for?

I'm looking to lay up a few gallons of something dark and nourishing for the winter ...

I'm just finishing a bottle of this now. I cannot place the fruitiness. I'm not so sure I taste licorice, though. If it's in there; and it could be; it's very subtle. Something almost taste prune-like. Since it's from Sri Lanka, I wonder if they use tamarinds.

The bottle description says "a chocolatey, mocha character". I can see that. There's something in there giving it a very slight "zing", though. Could it be that it goes a little "sour" with natural yeasts?

loneoak has pretty much nailed the description.

Back