Newly Upgraded Brewer - Equipment Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tusz

Reaction score
Hey everybody! Thanks to some Christmas presents, I'm joining the ranks of the 5-gallon brewers (after a year of Mr Beer). I have all my equipment, and I'm just waiting on my recipes to get here. But first, I've run into a bit of a problem...

I'm not sure where my family bought the equipment they gave me (possibly a LHBS), but everything seems fine except one little issue: the spigot for the bottling bucket doesn't seem to fit in the pre-drilled hole! It's a standard Italian-style spigot, but I can't seem to find any info on it. Anyone happen to know the right bore size for these things, and possibly a way to resize the hole without the use of power tools (which I don't have)?

Also, any tips for someone going from Mr. Beer's HME/UME cans to normal extract brewing would be greatly appreciated!

So, a small bump, and a quick second question: do these kinds of spigots really have the kinds of leaking issues I see mentioned in reviews, and what's a good way to stop it if they do?

I use one, but due to time constraints and lack of real tool I was forced to make the hole for it with a razor.... So I dont know what the correct size is (I was told an inch, but it probably changes with the manufacturer) BUT a razor does work, you just have to be really careful. I then used a flathead to smooth everything out, but Im thinking a file would be better.

tl;dr use a file to bore out the hole

The spigot on my bottling bucket fits so tight that I have to screw it in. I cannot just push it. When you do get it in, make sure it has two gaskets on the outside and none on the inside or else it will leak. It takes both gaskets on one side to seal against the curved bucket.

Thanks for the responses! I think that if I just make a small notch for the threads to fit through, it would screw into place appropriately. I'll be taking a look at it later today. Oh, and that comment about the gaskets will probably save a bottle or two's worth of beer; I was going to put one on each side (like you do with the taps on the flat-fronted Mr. Beer LBKs).

I have one of those spigots and brewer's best bucket. The hole was very tight at first, and I had to screw it in, now it has loosened up enough I can push the spigot through. enlarge the hole only enough to screw it in, an an emery board would be the tool I would choose. I put a gasket on the out side and one on the inside and have never had a leak. Testing may be the way to ensure which is going to work for you.

I wouldn't put a notch in it because that will be a potential home for bugs. If you want to know the proper size for the hole you could call Homebrew Heaven. They have to drill them all the time so they keep a drill with that bit ready to go.

I had to push pretty hard to get both of mine started.

You may wish to heat up your fermenting bucket in near boiling water as part of the sanitize process. When the plastic is warm, its easier to work with... put the spigot in then. But, not before you sanitize it completely.
Do some trial runs filling the bucket up with water before you put your precious beer in it. I have my gasket on the inside of both my fermenting vessels without issue.

I just purchased a spigot for a bucket that I already had. I drilled a 1 in. hole and it was tight, but I was able o screw it in. I used one gasket on the inside and one on the outside without leaks.

Latest posts

Back