Drilling Kegs made easy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmuir

Reaction score
Hello all I just wanted to share how easy drilling the holes in my keg were. I have drills up to and over an inch but remember how tough SS can be so I was thinking of getting a punch set. I then looked over in the garage and saw my hole saw set, Lennox (sp) I have drilled through stele before so I thought what the heck. A small nail set, for the 1/4 inch pilot bit and I was done in under 10 seconds. It cut through the SS like butter. I have heard the horror stories of step bits and bent punches, this could not have gone any easier.:mug:

Mine does not say bi-metal on the case. This is a higher end set so they may be. The teeth are are not small, they are raked out like any wood saw. A pipe fitter once told me he never drills larger holes, always with a hole saw. If he ever uses a cutting aid it is always just soapy water in a windex spray bottle. The cutting aid is to keep the bit/saw cool, not lubricated. I have not used cutting oil since he told me this, and never have had a problem. Lowes always has the Lennox brand in stock here in Pa.

so i am about to convert another keg and dreading another go around with the step bit, although it wasnt as bad after i went with the proper 1/2 drill so i could slow it down and still have some torque. I am interested in trying this route, are these the correct type of hole saw i am looking for
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000E8DLU4/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FAPPDC/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002KJ5EXM/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

thanks
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes those are what we are talking about. Mt set has a 1/4 inch pilot bit in the center. The "saws" all screw on the pilot bit. If you dont use a bit the hole may wander a bit while it's being started. Just go slow. I would post a pic but Ive no clue how

Anyone ever use one of these? It's a carbide tipped hole cutter. The one I saw at HomeDepot said that it was for use on stainless steel sheet up to 3/16 thick.

00279100.jpg

Yes those are what we are talking about. Mt set has a 1/4 inch pilot bit in the center. The "saws" all screw on the pilot bit. If you dont use a bit the hole may wander a bit while it's being started. Just go slow. I would post a pic but Ive no clue how

yep, i got a couple different mandrel bits so i should be good.

one more question did you go 13/16 or 7/8, im guessing a good rule of thumb would be to stick with the 13/16 and do some cleanup on the hole for a good fit.

This makes me sick, I spent forty bucks on a step bit that ill probably never use again

Pretty sure I used 7/8. My weldless fittings has a size to cut to and the fit was perfect. O ring on one side flat washer on the other. I always forget I have this set,but it has been used countless times and the saws still cut like new.

Just tried out the carbide tipped hole cutter (27.99) from home depot. Since i was working on a hole that had already been started using an el cheapo step bit i had to rig something for the pilot bit to drill into. After that it took about 5 seconds to get a nice neat 7/8 hole. And cleanup took about 30 seconds with some 220 grit sandpaper. Just water tested with no leaks.

Cool pretty much the same results I had. Took longer to put it in the drill then to make the hole.

hmmm, I have some of them, might give it a try. Although I have not had any issues with the unibit. I use a good drill and it goes through nice and easy. I picked my unibit up from harbor freight, a 2-pack for 12.00 I think, maybe it was less.

I think my problem with my step bit was that my drill was underpowered on the low end torque you need to use it effectively.

Back