Got gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimsawyer

Reaction score
A couple NG questions. I have NG and want to use it. I mean why not. A brew here a brew there and it's like taking an extra shower... (that's how i'll sell it anyhow, heheheh :D ) Can you fire up a turkey fryer inside a garage without fear of killing yourself? And how would I go a bout getting a hose ran off of a line to hook up my beer stuff? Can I do it myself or might there be some leagal issues behind something of that nature? Must I have a contractor do it? I would really like to not need my propane tanks anymore. Taking them to the gas station is a pain, I have gas. It would be wonderful to use that instead. Any imput would be very helpful. :rockin:

My impression on the use of propane indoors, after a lengthy discussion on this forum, is that it is ok only provided deliberate, significant, and substantial use of fresh air. I'm not talking about an open door or a couple of open windows. I'm talking a couple open doors and a good solid fan blowing in and out the doors, or a garage door mostly open and a door on the other side, or some holy mother of god fans blowing hurricane winds through a window.

That's sort of where my comfort level would be for propane. I can't really help with NG except to say that I cook indoors with NG most every day. Get yourself a CO detector to be extra safe. They're only like $20.

NG comes with the same hazards as propane. Running another NG line requires a licensed installer. I had a line run to the back of the house (during initial construction) for a grill. Turns out I never bought an NG grill, but it works great for brewing!

A licensed installer must setup the tap for you, building permits might be involved. Most low pressure burners will work with NG, but you are much better off getting one designed for NG.

I brew in my old garage with the main door open about 6" in cold weather and wide open in warm.

I just had a propane heater added in the new garage , the water heater moved in the old garage and a tap next to it for a new Hurricane burner. Got a 135 gallon tank down by the pole barn.

All the standard disclaimers aside, I ran my own line into the garage and use a cheap garden hose quick disconnect setup. I'd answer more questions about it later, but I'll probably be blown up by then.

I open both my garage doors at least 2 feet and put a box fan on high blowing out of one of them. It's more an issue if you're getting a sooty orange flame. Make sure you have a clean blue flame. The hose being used is just goodyear utility hose. It's not exactly meant for gas usage but I disconnect and blow out the nat gas after use.

gas.jpg

Remember, I'm not recommending this. Adding branches off your gas lines is a complex business. You might be stealing flow from other devices if you don't know how to calculate it. Checking for leaks requires you to shut off all your valves including the main and pressurizing to 10 PSI and watching for pressure drop over time. Of course, you can do it like my dad; hold a match up to the joints and look for flame.

Toot said:
My impression on the use of propane indoors, after a lengthy discussion on this forum, is that it is ok only provided deliberate, significant, and substantial use of fresh air. I'm not talking about an open door or a couple of open windows. I'm talking a couple open doors and a good solid fan blowing in and out the doors, or a garage door mostly open and a door on the other side, or some holy mother of god fans blowing hurricane winds through a window.

That's sort of where my comfort level would be for propane. I can't really help with NG except to say that I cook indoors with NG most every day. Get yourself a CO detector to be extra safe. They're only like $20.

We use turkey friers inside often with little ventilation. I don't think you need to worry about it. Heck this winter we brewed in a garage it was 19 outside and we kept the burner going the whole time with only a crack under the door. We were fine.

I don't think I would hesitate to use propane inside with good ventiallation (crack in garage door).

There are a lot of people that have propane in their homes as opposed to NG. My in-laws run their stove and oven off propane.

I think in general (for propane or NG) though you should have a carbon monoxide detector and have another person around so if you something happens they can call 911.

Beerrific said:
I don't think I would hesitate to use propane inside with good ventiallation (crack in garage door).

There are a lot of people that have propane in their homes as opposed to NG. My in-laws run their stove and oven off propane.

I think in general (for propane or NG) though you should have a carbon monoxide detector and have another person around so if you something happens they can call 911.

You have to realize that a typical gas range is made up of four 8-12kbtu each. That's under 50kbtu if you have them all cranked. These burners we're talking about are 100kbtu + so it uses up a lot of oxygen and also displaces oxygen with exhaust gas (CO). Gotta get fresh air in. THis applies to natural gas or propane but the OP wasn't even talking about propane.

Back