Hops with the wort in the carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inarus

Reaction score
Hello,

So I've made a few beers so far, but I've always filtered out the hops through a grain bag before the wort goes into a carboy. Is this necessary or should I leave the hops in the wort while it ferments in the carboy?

I think it is better to strain all that crap out. It will also give you a little more room in the carboy/bucket. It's upto you really and how long you plan on keeping it in primary.

I would strain them out. You only want hops during the fermenting process when dryhopping (typically a pale ale) and that typically has a fresh batch of hops for that phase.

Leaving them in only ads more crud in your fermenter. concider the hops spent after the boil is over. Alot of us will boil our hops in a hop bag, so that we can remove them as soon as the boil is over, and not even leave them in until the wort is cooled.

Back