Noob question on hop additions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tim27

Reaction score
How do I add hops? I am trying to understand when I add the hops/pellets when it says at sixty minutes do I keep the hops in there for the whole boil?Or do I remove the hops after awhile? I am just tring to understand the process. Sorry for the dense question.

Thanks, Tim

toss 'em in at the prescribed time, and let them stay for the rest of the boil. try to avoid transferring a lot of hops into the fermenter though.

no worries. but you'll want to leave them in the whole time. hop additions are listed by the amount of time you want to boil them. Ex; 60 stays in for the whole boil, and 0 gets tossed in right at the very end.

So 60 min. means as you start to boil? Or do you wait for the wort to come to a boil than time from your first addition?

wait until it comes to a boil. the boil time of the wort is not as important as the boil time of the hops. For example, when your wort comes to a boil the hops don't need to go into it immediately, you can wait a few minutes (in case it catches you off guard, lets' say), it doesn't need to be exactly coincidental. Therefore you can boil for like 70 or 77 minutes, or whatever, just make sure that you time the hops correctly, adding them when prescribed.

Bitterness is calculated based on the time the hops are boiled, so the longer they are boiled the more bitterness that is extracted.

Thank you for the clarifications everyone. So one last time before I jump into IPA land.:) Example:

2oz for 60 min= Start of boil
1oz for 15 min= 45 minutes in or is it 15 minutes in?
.5oz for 5 min= Last 5 minutes?
.5oz at flame out= Add hops as heat is removed?

Any corrections?

Thanks again, Tim:tank:

The 60 minute addition would be at the start of the boil, but I add them after the hot break, so the hops don't end up stuck to the side of the pot.

The 15 minute addition is 45 minutes after the first addition.

5 minute addition the last 5 minutes.

Flame out is when you remove the heat.

I now have the knowledge that I needed. Thank you to everyone for patience with novice questions. It was just a matter of learning the terminology.

Thanks again, Tim :mug:

Back