English vs American Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beau815

Reaction score
I am making edworts haus pale ale which is an APA. I compared 2 recipes in papazians companion and the only real difference despite the water used in england was only the hops. Is this correct? Its basically the same but American PA's use American hops (cascade, willamette) and English use English hops (Goldings, Fuggles) etc?

A English style is likely to use an English base malt like Marris Otter.

An English yeast could be used to give the beer a bit more yeast derived flavors.

And maybe some Burton style salts like you said.

Gotcha, im gonna add a tablespoon of gypsum to my APA... the one in papazian calls for 2 tbs, sounds like alot to me, and edworts doesnt call for any. so ill "middle of the road" it

Its basically the same but American PA's use American hops (cascade, willamette) and English use English hops (Goldings, Fuggles) etc?

I would say that you can make an excellent American PA and English PA using the same grain bill. You are right, the biggest difference is the hops. Second to that the yeast, but you could can get away with an English yeast in an APA as long as the yeast character does not overwhelm the hops.

if you don't know the mineral content of the water you're using for brewing (and especially if you're doing extract), I don't think I'd mess with water salts.

its not gonna be extract, its my first AG. I hear ya though... but papazian calling for 2 tbs of gypsum without knowing anyone's water content, I figured half of that would be ok.

Back