Fermentation Question...HELP!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dk8

Reaction score
Psyched to find this site! Relatively new to brewing and have a fermentation question... I'm brewing an XX cervesa out of The Brewmaster's Bible and pitched 1 packet of rehydrated safebrew S-33 dry Ale yeast for primary fermentation. All conditions were ideal (dark, draft free, steady temp at 70%) and fermentation began within 7-8 hours. It's now 24 hours after the first signs of fermentation and now there's no visible signs....no bubbles coming out thru the airlock. Haven't had this happen before and wondering if I need to do anything or just let it ride for a few days and check the final gravity to see if its in the right range?

dk8 said:
Psyched to find this site! Relatively new to brewing and have a fermentation question... I'm brewing an XX cervesa out of The Brewmaster's Bible and pitched 1 packet of rehydrated safebrew S-33 dry Ale yeast for primary fermentation. All conditions were ideal (dark, draft free, steady temp at 70%) and fermentation began within 7-8 hours. It's now 24 hours after the first signs of fermentation and now there's no visible signs....no bubbles coming out thru the airlock. Haven't had this happen before and wondering if I need to do anything or just let it ride for a few days and check the final gravity to see if its in the right range?

Let it ride--the first vigorous ferment can take a few days, but it can go faster. But be assured, you're still fermenting. Once the first ferment dies down, the C02 can push it's way out around your stopper or bucket top instead of going out the airlock. Wait the full fermentation period, then check with your hydrometer. Most importantly--relax, deep breath, have a homebrew!

Let it go for a few days then check gravity. Do you think that maybe the air lock isn't sealed? I've had that happen more than once.

Seems like the airlock has a good seal on it. I'll let it go for a few days. Thanks for the quick response!

I'm very new to brewing and pitched my first Dunkel what should my gravity be before transferring to my secondary?

Seems like the airlock has a good seal on it. I'll let it go for a few days. Thanks for the quick response!

regardless of whether you think it's done or not you'll have a better beer if you wait at least ten days before you do ANYTHING to it...secondary, bottle, keg, whatever.

Although the more precise way to check if fermentation is done is stable gravity readings over 3 days with a hydrometer.

I agree with jmiracle - leave it a minimum of 10 days, then check the gravity. The yeast needs that amount of time to clean up off flavors, even if fermentation is done before that. If you're going to secondary and it's finished after 10 days, go ahead and rack it. If you're not planning on a secondary, I'd leave it for a couple more weeks before bottling.

I just got a second primary bucket and the airlock didn't even bubble during high krausen because the bucket lid does not have an airtight gasket. So don't trust the airlock to tell you what's really going on.

Yeah airlocks haven't bubbled on my bucket for the last five batches, I'm actually glad it happened it since it broke me of the "airlock is a fermentation gauge" mindset.

Back