If you could get your hand on one keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxdcmast

Reaction score
I am planning on building myself a setup like I see here using the 3 kegs. At the moment I am able to get my hands on one keg. So I am going to put it out there to all of you. If you have only one keg what would be the first piece of equipment you would build on you way to a full 3 keg system?

When answering if you have a link to a good step by step on building that piece could you please attach it.

I guess a little background on me would help. Im relatively new to brewing only started around christmas but my goal is to go all grain. I figure I can start pieceing my stuff together as I go. So if there is a piece of equipment that can be used both all grain and extract (for now).

I would use it for a BK. You can do boils for extract and AG in it as well. I would cut the top out (12" opening so a regular saucepan lid will fit), add a three- piece ball valve and a pickup tube, and a sight glass.
Won't work too well on a stovetop though. You will have to have a burner to boil in it.

Agreed. A boil kettle would be your first keg. You can use coolers for mashtun and hot liquor tanks. Or a smaller pot for heating sparge water if you are going to be doing batch sparging. I have 2 kegs but so far I have only used one for a boil kettle. I haven't decide what I want to do with the second yet. A fermenter is another option for a sanke keg...

Ok so it sounds like keggle is the way to go does anybody have a good site or post showing a build process and parts list to make one?

Thanks

I am sure BierMuncher could help you cut yours like his if you ask nice.

HopBag6.jpg

Just acquired a keg, going to do a BK first, just like everyone said. I've got access to two more if I want them, but I'm in no rush. I figure when I start doing AG I won't want to do kegs at first just for overall investment. Coolers seems a cheaper/easier way to start anyways.

Yeah, I'd go with the BK. I don't have one yet, but that's what I'm going to do first. As others have said, you can use a cooler for a MLT. If you already have a decent sized kettle you were using for partial boils, you might be able to use it for a HLT.

Just acquired a keg, going to do a BK first, just like everyone said. I've got access to two more if I want them, but I'm in no rush. I figure when I start doing AG I won't want to do kegs at first just for overall investment. Coolers seems a cheaper/easier way to start anyways.

You can get a keg for about $30 on craigslist if you keep an eye out. I see them all the time.

Back