Need Help: Adding Ball Valve to new Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drew2bm

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,

I am upgrading my brew setup from 3-gal batches in the kitchen to 6-gal batches in the garage. To complete my brew setup, I want to add a ball valve to my new kettle. I am planning on having it welded in place, as my cousin can do this for free. I have read several threads, and have reviewed various product offerings on brew sites, amazon, ebay, etc. This seems to be one of the better valves on the market (the one for $38):

http://www.homebrewery.com/beer/beer-valves-fittings.shtml

Is this an ideal ball valve/bulkhead assembly for kettle application? Is there a better option available? (willing to spend the $$)

What is the best option for a down spout inside the kettle to draw the wort all the way to the bottom?

Will I need any additional parts for the weld process?

Thanks for the help!

Ok, I went ahead and purchased the ball valve and fitting, but would like more information on how it all fits together before purchasing the pick-up tube. Of these three pieces, where is the point at which the assembly passes through the kettle wall? Is it where the fitting and the pick up tube connect?

The flat end of the fitting gets welded to the kettle.

You'll want to drill your hole in the kettle the same diameter as the OD of the fitting.
The fitting should fit in the hole snugly.
You can either weld the fitting so that it is flush to the inside of the kettle, or you can have it stick half way through the kettle wall.

See this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/anyone-recognize-fitting-375288/

The pick-up tube threads into the fitting inside the kettle.

Thanks for the help. My brew kettle is complete, no leaks. Here are some pics.

20130316_131018.jpg

20130316_130938.jpg

20130316_130956.jpg

Back