Fist Lambic ever

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nilo

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have been homebrewing for few years now, all Ales, doing all grain, and I have never tasted a lambic.
Saw this on my grocery shelf yesterday and decided to buy it, $10
I new that lambic was made with wild yeast, so I was a little nervous how it would taste, expecting something sour and to be honest, didn't have any good expectations.
Lambic is AWESOME!:rockin:

So, few questions:

1)How good, among lambic homebrewers, is this particular bottle I got. I'm wondering if that is like a low quality commercial beer or if it is considered a good start to sample a lambic for the first time. If not, any suggestions?
2)Can anyone list the basics of brewing lambic beer, like primary fermentation timing, basic grain bill, aging period, something just to have an idea.
3)This lambic I had didn't have any ABV% that I could find, any idea what that is?

Thanks

lambic.jpg

I have only tried a few lambics but I agree, they are awesome. I know this is sacrilege to purists, but I have mixed Lindeman's Framboise lambic with a chocolate stout...and it was fantastic.

So, few questions:

1)How good, among lambic homebrewers, is this particular bottle I got. I'm wondering if that is like a low quality commercial beer or if it is considered a good start to sample a lambic for the first time. If not, any suggestions?

lindemans, while it may technically have been sour and a lambic at one point, I wouldnt really call what you drank a 'real lambic', they pasteurize it, backsweeten with lots of sugar and add fruit syrup to it, so while its tasty its more like an alcopop than a real lambic

2)Can anyone list the basics of brewing lambic beer, like primary fermentation timing, basic grain bill, aging period, something just to have an idea.

too big a question to answer succinctly, you should grab a copy of wild brews and take a look at different sour beer blogs

3)This lambic I had didn't have any ABV% that I could find, any idea what that is?

2-4%

I just tried that Lindemans. I'm drinking it right now. I'm surprised to like something with such a raspberry flavor. It's carbonated to nearly champagne level. It has a very tart and sour finish.

I have some Ommegangs Three Philosphers Lambic to try next. I was a little worried that I would hate sour beer. So far Lambic is really good.

I just tried that Lindemans. I'm drinking it right now. I'm surprised to like something with such a raspberry flavor. It's carbonated to nearly champagne level. It has a very tart and sour finish.

I have some Ommegangs Three Philosphers Lambic to try next. I was a little worried that I would hate sour beer. So far Lambic is really good.

3 philosophers isnt a lambic, its a quad blended with a tiny tiny bit of lindemans

Those Lindeman's lambics are to lambic what Starbucks drinks are to coffee. Both start out as lambic/coffee and then have a lot of sweetness added on top to change the flavor to make it more palatable to people who don't like the base beverage.

I don't hate on the Lindeman's products. I think they are tasty and I appreciate them for what they are. However, I do enjoy a proper lambic or oud bruin.

So can you guys suggest any commercial lambic I can find that can be a truly lambic experience?

Right. 2% Lambic, but somehow sour as hell.

I've got to agree with ryane. Three Philosophers is definitely on the malty side. I pick up a bit of the cherry (kriek beer) flavor but it's not overwhelming or sour by any means. Maybe you got a bad bottle?

So can you guys suggest any commercial lambic I can find that can be a truly lambic experience?

If you can find Lindeman's products in your area you should be able to find the Lindeman's Rene Cuve Gueuze, which is their one unfiltered, unsweetened product sold in the states. It has a yellow-gold label.

Cantillon, Drie Fonteinen, Boon.

They all make gueuze (blended lambic) and fruit lambics. Cantillon bottles a straight lambic (Grand Cru Bruocsella). Any and all of them are great. I would suggest getting a gueuze or the straight lambic to really get a feel of what the bugs can do.

Lindemans makes a gueuze too (Cuvée René) and it is good as well. It seems to be more readily available in some areas/stores.

I've got to agree with ryane. Three Philosophers is definitely on the malty side. I pick up a bit of the cherry (kriek beer) flavor but it's not overwhelming or sour by any means. Maybe you got a bad bottle?

If it were one of my bottles, I would think something went very wrong. Being new to the style, I thought it was supposed to be sour.

If you can get your hands on a Hanssens Oude Gueuze, your mouth will pucker before you even get it to your lips! It has an amazing balance of Brett and sour, but it is really an acquired taste.

Gueze is the way to try a real sour. If in Belgium, get a Faro, but it has to be blended that day or it is not true.

Back