Would YOU buy, drink a "craft style" beer from BMC?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steakandale

Reaction score
As a side-question from all the usual arguments and discussion regarding macro vs micro brew, the big ones buying up the smaller breweries...

Would you buy and drink a richer, medium hopped ale with a little malt backbone to it, if it came from the big guys?

I mean like a 2-hearted, or Dogfish head like beer that maybe cost a few bucks less then those cost? Bud-premium Bud-Gold

If it was at the closest store and I wanted a great beer at a value compared to a craft-beer,
I think I would.

Honestly, no

Not because i "hate" BMC or anything but i like to support the little guys. I typically only drink CA or OR craft beers at the moment. That is other than my homebrew. I just dont feel right about giving my money to a brewery that is trying to monopolize the industry.

If it's good, absolutely. Just like I wouldn't stop supporting the small breweries once they're not so small anymore.

You mean like these?

6pkbmichamberbock12oz.jpg

Or

bourbon-county-stout-new.jpg

Since it's now owned by AHB/Inbev.....

The answer is yes, if it's a decent beer.....I bought the Amberbock for my 85 year old mom who likes bock beers, and at the time it was the only one available and was surprised at how decent it was....not the best example, but not vomit inducing either.

I had another mich "craft beer" on tap that I thought sucked, and can't recall
I've drank Bud America Ale both on tap and in bottles, and thought it ok, in a pinch as well.

It all depends on the beer.

considering BMC are buying out or making "agreements" with a lot of craft breweries, I guess I would For instance, I like Titan IPA from Redhook. I found out that technically its a Bud product now. After my inital disgust, I figured...hey I liked the beer before so how I can say I don't like it now.

If they make something drinkable and enjoyable, then sure I would buy a BMC product. But, I still think true craft breweries make better beer simply because they are mass producing the same thing day in and out.

No. Those breweries are operated by guys in suits who want to take our money, our freedoms and our younger children. If we buy craft beers from them, our most treasured garden produce will get aphids and/or cabbage worms. I heard some of the people who run these companies weren't even born here, and those who were went to Ivy league colleges and belonged to secret fraternities. As long as I can buy my beer from people who (I imagine) drive Subarus or ride bicycles and don't know how to (or care to) make money, I'll be darned if I'll buy it from a BMC.

Honestly, no

Not because I "hate" BMC or anything but i like to support the little guys. I typically only drink CA or OR craft beers at the moment. That is other than my homebrew. I just dont feel right about giving my money to a brewery that is trying to monopolize the industry.

That's only one way to look at the whole thing. The smaller guys fight for their market share too, and lobby, and defend their business interests, you have to in order to survive. and DONT FORGET 15$ a six pack
The entire three-tier system is a direct result of the post-prohibition 21st amendment. Yes they are a big bad evil empire, but at the same time, they fought to keep what they have just like the small guys.
I want the biggest to use their brand, their sheer size to produce a better beer if I WANT one - and yes at a lower price. not the usual yellow-fizzy...

I didn't intend this to be another argument thread and here i am stirring it up.

and yes I think Amber-Bock is decent if the other taps are all bud/bud-light/miller

From what I've had, not much has impressed me.

Shock Top, for example, is digusting.

Leffe Blonde is owned by Bud and not bad.

I also liked the Bare Knuckle Stout they used to make, but I cant find it anywhere. I used to mix it with other lighter beers.

Oh and the Beach Bum one on draft aint bad.

As long as I can buy my beer from people who (I imagine) drive Subarus or ride bicycles and don't know how to (or care to) make money, I'll be darned if I'll buy it from a BMC.
This is silly. People start businesses to make money, so they do care to make money. It doesn't matter if it's a huge production brewery or a one man operation brewing a half barrel batch on the weekend, both are in it to make money.

I'd buy it if there wasn't a good local brew available. I have bought and enjoyed a few Michelob "craft" beers before. Still drink Blue Moon.

But usually, they choices from the big boys are nothing like what I want to drink.

Also, Michigan Brewing Company makes some pretty decent beer. But they also make some crappy contract beers to be sold by others. So I might buy a Celis White, but forget the American Badass (Kid Rock) beer they make! Ugh.

(Maybe he thought the parts about aphids, our younger children and xenophobia weren't silly?)

You bet I would. And do.

Here are a few examples:

Print_Book6.jpg

Colorado Native Lager, brewed by AC Golden, a subsidiary of MillerCoors. Beer Advocate likes it too.

Miller's Amber Bock is decent in a pinch. and I'll happily admit to liking Bud's American Ale as well. Being a BMC product doesn't automatically make a beer bad any more than being craft-brewed makes a beer automatically good.

I will also admit to liking both Schlitz and PBR as good summer beers.

Miller's Amber Bock is decent in a pinch. and I'll happily admit to liking Bud's American Ale as well. Being a BMC product doesn't automatically make a beer bad any more than being craft-brewed makes a beer automatically good.

I will also admit to liking both Schlitz and PBR as good summer beers.

+1 one to both statements. Have you had the Schlitz original format that they released 2 years ago, it's the 1970's pre-merger recipe and it's damn good. Also SAB miller re-release Stroh's as well. Fun stuff.

+1 one to both statements. Have you had the Schlitz original format that they released 2 years ago, it's the 1970's pre-merger recipe and it's damn good. Also SAB miller re-release Stroh's as well. Fun stuff.

Had the Schlitz and thought it was a pretty good beer on a warm day. Also tried the Michelob Original Lager and thought that was pretty good too!

Best "light beer" for me.

(Maybe he thought the parts about aphids, our younger children and xenophobia weren't silly?)

Sarcasm is over looked as it flies over the heads of the intended recipients.

If BMC were to put its resources into making GREAT beer and less money on outlandish marketing they would have a better product and my support. They are the Ikea of the brewing world. Would you rather have a dining room table from Ikea or Ashley Furniture? You get what you pay for. We will never get rid of BMC and they will always own most of the market share. But they will always make cheap beer.

I dont condone people for purchasing BMC, but i dont agree with there business model. Quality<Quanity

They didn't release it here in CO, as far as I know, but I had some the last time I was in Kansas. I see why my granddad drank Schlitz.

Boo boo: Like I always say, a "real man" drinks what he damn well pleases, regardless of what anybody thinks. If John Wayne had a taste for some fruity drink served in a pineapple, he'd order one, and knock out anybody who gave him any crap for it.

Boo boo: Like I always say, a "real man" drinks what he damn well pleases, regardless of what anybody thinks. If John Wayne had a taste for some fruity drink served in a pineapple, he'd order one, and knock out anybody who gave him any crap for it.

ROFLMAO. Yep, that would be the Duke all right.

If any of the bmc companies decide to start crankin out beer that rivals or exceeds my favorite craft beer, I'll definitely buy it.

I have bought "craft" beer from BMC and will do it again. Some of it is pretty darned good. I thought Bud American Ale was a really nice surprise. Tasted an awfully lot like the amber ale that I brew for myself.

If it's an outstanding beer, I'd buy it. But if I have to choose between a local or small business product and one from a megacorporation, and the quality is comparable, I'll always go with the small guy.

I though Bud American Ale tasted a bit dull and boreing. Not terrible mind you.. just a little lacking on anything resembling complexity. I wonder how it would taste to me if I tried it and didn't know it was a BMC product? Oh well.. I guess we'll never know... I was surprised by the Schlitz reissue. had a can (in a glass) at a bar last weekend and it was actually ok.. not outstanding but definitely drinkable. Way better than Bud.

If I could get a 2 hearted-like beer for a couple of bucks less I wouldn't care who made it. Well, I guess if it was the Taliban making it I probably wouldn't buy it. Probably.

I didn't know about this one, is it still available in Michigan?

I don't know. I bought it this year I think, at the local grocery store. It's not something that I'd buy regularly, I just saw the bottle and picked up a 6-pack out of curiosity.

It's still a "light beer", but better than most of the macro swill that the populace drinks. I'll check the website.

Looks like they are still making it.

I don't get it. What is wrong with drinking what you like? And since when has making money been a bad thing. There is a local brewery by me that is selling, Schlafly, so the guy who owns it wants to trade up his bicycle for a BMW, or 5 of them, so what? Isn't that the American Dream? One of the beers that I discovered recently and really like, Hoegaarden, is AB InBev. Does that make it taste any less good?

I love craft brew, but I love the big guys too. I love beer. I like Bud and regular Coors. I like PBR and I love Stag, its a Illinois thing. What is wrong with drinking what you like?

If there was two different beers which I equally liked, one was a micro brew and one was a big boy, and they were the same price, I would probably drink the microbrew 9 times out of 10. But, I don't want to be a beer snob.

I don't get it. What is wrong with drinking what you like? And since when has making money been a bad thing. There is a local brewery by me that is selling, Schlafly, so the guy who owns it wants to trade up his bicycle for a BMW, or 5 of them, so what? Isn't that the American Dream? One of the beers that I discovered recently and really like, Hoegaarden, is AB InBev. Does that make it taste any less good?

I love craft brew, but I love the big guys too. I love beer. I like Bud and regular Coors. I like PBR and I love Stag, its a Illinois thing. What is wrong with drinking what you like?

If there was two different beers which I equally liked, one was a micro brew and one was a big boy, and they were the same price, I would probably drink the microbrew 9 times out of 10. But, I don't want to be a beer snob.

+1,000

Applause.gif

I posted this the other day in another one of these big beer is evil threads....

So I'm trying to figure out the rules for being an EAC (look it up) Beersnob of the "Beer Wars" Variety. As opposed to just a normal beersnob, like I consider myself, who enjoys great beer, but doesn't give a care what other folks choose to drink, nor has fault with making money or running a business (which is really ironic since I'm a "bleeding heart" liberal and therefore I'm supposed to not eat meat, wear leather, believe in capitalism or shave my legs.;))

We have to hate BMC because they are the big evil corporate empire, and because their beer is the most popular on the planet and therefore it is crap.

But we ALSO have to hate the following micro/craft brewers mostly because they are too popular and/or they're not us and we're jealous. Maybe it's barrel size? If you are too big, meaning big sales then you suck?

We have to hate New Belgium Brewing Company, because frat boys like Fat Tire and therefore it sucks.

We Have to hate Dogfish Head and Sam Caligione because he had a tv show on discovery channel, and therefore his beer sucks.

We have to hate Jim Koch and Sam Adams because he runs commercials and sells a lot of beer, Sometimes he needs to have third party brewers contract brew it to meet demand, and therefore it sucks, DESPITE the fact that He supports homebrewing on so many levels including and not limited to making hops available to homebrewers during the hops shortage AND hosting the Longshot competition which gives a chance for homebrewers to have their beer brewed professionally, and showcased to a huge audience, but of course those folks who enter and win are actually not real homebrewers but poseur sellouts who's beer sucks (because it's not any of us who won.)

We have to hate Bell's brewery because he decided to protect his trade mark and therefore he must care about making money so his beer sucks (and he probably sleeps with sheep or something.)

Have I missed any? Do we hate Stone and Rogue because they paint their bottles and make it hard to re-use them and therefore their beers suck? Or are they for some reason "ok?"

Boy it's so hard to be a beer lover these days, with so many rules to follow. It used to be we just had to like good beer, whatever OUR definition of it was....../Sarcasm

:D

Oh yeah and now we're supposed to hate Goose Island, because they completed a deal that they've been involved with for 5 years and partnered even more fully with AHB. So that means they're sellout bastards and even though we LOVED Bourbon County Stout...it sucks...even though it's been made under that partnership for years. It now is crap.

We have to hate PBR because hipsters drink it.

We have to hate BMC, because it is monopolizing the industry

We have to hate anything in a Green or Clear bottle, because it is skunked.

Back