Chinook ipa from northern brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I am brewing the chinook ipa from northern brewer tonight. Anyone brew this beer before?

I just bottled my single hop all Chinook IPA. Haven't tried it yet. I used the all Amarillo IPA recipe I found here in HBT but used Chinook instead. The beer club I'm in made 4 IPAs with identical base recipes with the only difference being the hops. The Chinook was by far the best out of the 4. Nugget came in 2nd. Fuggle 3rd and Hallertauer came in last. The Chinook was so good that I had to try brewing it myself. Each club member got 1 sixer of each. I liked the Chinook so much that I offered my 'other' 3 sixers for just 1 bottle of the Chinook. Nobody was willing to make that trade though.

Here's the recipe I used:

7 lbs. light DME
1/2 lb. crystal 40L

1.5 oz. Chinook 60 min.
1.0 oz. Chinook 15 min.
1 whirfloc tablet 10 min.
1/2 tsp yeast nutrient 10 min.
1.0 oz. Chinook 5 min.
0.5 oz. Chinook flame out

1.0 oz. Chinook dry hopped

Safale-05

The projected OG was 1.067.
The projected FG was 1.016.

My OG was 1.060
The FG was 1.011

I probably should have left out the whirfloc. Not really needed since it's an IPA.

I hope this measures up to the club recipe.

I made it, and turned out to be one of my favorite beers I've ever made. I found out that Chinook is one of my favorite hops, hands down. Mine smelled fruity and sticky, and tasted like piney pineapple and citrus. Def. a rebrew.

I brewed it 3 weeks ago and it's currently being force carbed in the keg and it's almost a week in. This Friday I'm going to take a taste and see how things are coming along. The only thing I changed was that I dry hopped for an ounce of Chinook and an ounce of simcoe.

Brewed their extract kit and then their AG kit for my first AG batch ever. Love Chinook and loved that beer.

This one came out great! The aroma and flavor were remarkable - One of my favorites so far!

I brewed my first batch this past weekend. 5 days into primary fermentation, it seems to be coming along nicely. Airlock is bubbling, the smell is fantastic, I can't wait to try it. I'm using a carboy cooler, by Cool Brewing, and changing out an icepack twice a day, keeping it around 65 degrees. I'm planning on doing a secondary fermentation, in a couple of weeks with some dry hopping. I'm probably going to stay with Chinook hops for the dry hop, unless someone can convince me not to.

This is good to hear. I have a single hop Chinook IPA planned for next month. Bottling up the all azacca IPA tomorrow as well. One or both might end up in competition.

I have the all grain version sitting in my basement right now, but I think I will do the Kiwi Express first. Got those 2 a long with the Czech Pils in a deal they had a while back of 3 kits for $60. Pretty excited about all 3. The Pils will be my first lager.

Its a pretty solid recipe, I served it at my wedding two years ago. If memory serves me correctly, I added an extra ounce at dry hop, and throw an ounce in a couple of tea balls and added them to the keg as well.

I just had the first bottle of my first batch of this kit.
It's not the best IPA I've ever had.
It is a solid IPA though, and I would not have been dissapointed even if I had paid Superbowl-bar-prices for a bottle.

I will make it again.

Back