Lowes buckets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricmcam

Reaction score
I think I have most of the elements needed for my first couple brews. I have read that you should only use food grade buckets to ferment in, and have also heard that the Lowes buckets will work. Does anyone know for sure that the Lowes buckets are safe?

I've heard the same about the white Lowes buckets. On the bottom of the bucket there should be a code that will explain it's use. The bottom of my Ale Pail is HPDE with a 2 in a triangle. Further in the article it talks about not all HPDE 2 is food grade! What? Anyway I just did a quick scan and am going to read the whole thing as soon as I post this.

Also check out bakeries. The frosting they use usually comes in 5 gallon food grade buckets. I doubt they recycle them probably just throw them out. Cheap free bucket maybe.

Attaching a link that explains the other food grade codes.http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/plastics.html

I use them for grain storage with a gamma lids, never tried to ferment in. Plus they are only 5 gallons, but they claim to be food grade.

It says food safe in big letters on the side of them (the white ones, not the gray ones). If they're not food safe then it's lawsuit time.

Back