Air Stone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J-Pizzel

Reaction score
Just bought an air stone from my LHBS for around $36. For just the stone, is that worth it or should I get one online for a fraction of the price?

Should've looked at the price before I left.

You can use a stone instead of a stir plate, but you need to invest in a sterile air filter ~$5 on midwest and a aquarium air pump from your favorite mega mart.

You can get one from William's Brewing, on a 22" stainless wand for $35

You can also find just the stone for under $20... Northern Brewer has them for about $14. You can even get one from More Beer with 1/4" MFL threads for almost $15...

So, to answer your question, IMO, you got ripped...

BTW, bschot, stirplates are best/better for starters, air stones make oxygenation of the wort (for the batch of beer) far easier, faster, and you can get much higher PPM of O2 than otherwise.

I agree. If it was $36 for just the air stone, not with a sterile Filter and aquarium pump you paid too much. I but just an air stone from a local homebrew shop for $12.50. I then ordered from Williams a disposable oxygen regulator for $19.99. Don't know why I waited SO long to buy this setup. My fermentation's have been drastically "stronger" and more complete. =)

You can also find just the stone for under $20... Northern Brewer has them for about $14. You can even get one from More Beer with 1/4" MFL threads for almost $15...

BTW, bschot, stirplates are best/better for starters, air stones make oxygenation of the wort (for the batch of beer) far easier, faster, and you can get much higher PPM of O2 than otherwise.

This.

Golddiggie said:

My hero. Love this post.

Latest posts

Back