arizona barrels as fermenters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have seen posts abt the Rubbermaid Brutes ... are they appropriate for 10 gallon batches ? Is there too much headspace ?

I think those barrels look like they would be hard to clean. As far as head space is concerned, you will produce CO2 the second fermentation starts which is heavier than O2. This forms a blanket that protects the beer from oxygen, and remember they do have open top fermenters. I only recommended a Brute because thats what I use, they are relatively cheap, easy to clean (you can fit in as far as needed to clean), and they are food grade. If it were me, I would only use those barrels for a secondary due to cleaning. Like I said, only my two cents.

Actually - I had not considered ease of cleaning .. too strange a shape of brush etc..

I suppose you cld use the Better Bottles technique of a washcloth and some PBW

Having second thougts now

They don't seem any harder to clean than a carboy to me. depending on the price they may work really well. I would just soak in PBW or Oxyclean and then lightly scrub with a carboy brush. The PBW will do most of the work.

Cheers

Those look like the same barrels that my LHBS pours their LME out of. I have 4 but with only one handle. They're food grade and safe but heavy when full.

Good luck,
Wild

wild said:
Those look like the same barrels that my LHBS pours their LME out of. I have 4 but with only one handle. They're food grade and safe but heavy when full.

Good luck,
Wild

Yep, look like the ones I pour bulk LME out of every day.

Guys, well those of you that are local, let me know and I'll save some for you.

steve

These are also the same or real darned close to the same thing that dairy farmers get their acid and sanitizer in that is used for washing the milk pipe lines with. If you live near a dairy farm check with the farmer about aquiring one.

Oxyclean or B-Brite would clean these things real easy.

Back