What about a spot to share GREAT deals?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalgayer

Reaction score
I am not sure if there is an exact spot for this...

But there are a lot of sites... like fatwallet and woot etc that people discuss great deals that they have come across on the net and at regular stores...

Anyone know where on this site we can do that?

It seems that I sometimes stumble across a good deal that someone posts... Like for a refractometer... etc. I just missed a deal on a thermometer.

With as many people as we have here...We would find a lot of deals together. It would be great if we could have one section to post deals that we find... rather than some in the classifieds and some in the vendors... and some here and some there.

Any thoughts on this?

hmm the concept sounds good now would you be able to post sales of your own like craiglist for homebrewers or would it be more for pointing out existing deals. also would it be a sticky thread or a forum of its own and who would keep it from filling up wit already solds and random junk

i think this is a good idea. i would stay away from craigslist, but online stores or retail stores would be nice to see. Also it would nice to have it as a sticky. THe page should be updated weekly though.

Not sure if it should be a sticky or not or where it could go.
The idea is this:

PERSON A: Is shopping at wal-mart and sees that they have buy one get one free on the bags for a food saver.... posts it

PERSON B: Reminds everyone that today is Free Shipping day at Hops-R-Us

PERSON C: Stumbles across an ebay dude that has digital thermometers for $5 (originally $30)

PERSON D: Sees an add in their local paper that a dude found 20 carboys in his uncles basement and wants $10/each for the,

PERSON E: Etc, etc, etc.

I would think that this would be a NON-VENDOR sticky/post/forum as the idea is this will be for ideas that WE think are the tops. The vendors have their area already (no offense guys)

I have seen these types of posts, but they are just scattered across the forum. If we were to help each other out (ala 'fatwallet') it might be nice.

Not sure how or where this fits into the site... but again, I would like to be able to make wherever it is a regular stop on my visits to this site.

I dont think this would require much work either... Just need some input to fine tune this idea.

jalgayer,
I think you have the right idea.
I myself have posted a thread in general not knowing really where to post, 25% off on all foodsaver bags.

I know not everyone looks at general every day, I know i don't. So having a thread that just said Hot Deals or something to that matter would be great place for anything ranging from Free shipping on hops to Hey, Found this digital Thermometor for $5.00 on e-bay.

As mentioned before tho, I think Vender's already have there own thread. To double post one in there and one say in a HOT Deal thread would be like double promoting.

Just my .2cents worth.
But i think its a great idea. :mug:

Yep.

Slick deals and fatwallet are exactly what I am talking about.
Basically a new forum that is strictly for finding, sharing and discussing deals.

Would we need mod approval? Is anyone else interested in this idea?

didnt realize you were looking to integrate it into the HBT forums... should be even easier to execute! im all for it

The mods will say no. They lock this site down tight if you don't pay them to be a vendor. They're pretty strict about links to sites that don't make them money or to sites they don't like.

how about making it locked, and allowing access to HBT "Supporters". This would act as an incentive to become a supporter and donate money to HBT, and provide supporters with a special part of the forum.

also...would Vendors be excluded from posting (as they already have their OWN part of the forum)?

p.s. i gotta become a supporter myself :rockin:

I could see it being a problem if new vendors figured out they could use it as a loophole to post their deals so they didn't have to register as a vendor.

I wasn't getting at a link to another site.
I was getting at another category to the list. " beginners beer forum, general beer discussion, etc... "

Maybe below Classifieds would be a good spot for it.

Another idea is, The mods make a sticky in the classifieds section or general.

Any way to get a mod's imput on all this?

I wasn't getting at a link to another site.
I was getting at another category to the list. " beginners beer forum, general beer discussion, etc... "

Maybe below Classifieds would be a good spot for it.

Another idea is, The mods make a sticky in the classifieds section or general.

Any way to get a mod's imput on all this?

I'm thinking......

I don't like the idea of another forum but I'm not opposed to it if I can see the value of it.

I know we often post in the general area if we know of a particularly good deal going on, like the one right now on turkey fryers at Home Depot.

I guess I have some concerns that we'd be wide open for spam. You know, like "this homebrew store in Nevada, www.whatever, has great deals!" and links to it. We've already had some wine spam and other things. People could sign up just to post "great deals".

I'm not really seeing the benefit to us here, to be honest. It sounds like more work for one of us...............but I hate to be a naysayer. If you can give me some concrete ideas on how this would work and the benefit of it I'd be open to it.

if it is infact overly complicated... i would agree with homercidal and say that the next best solution would be to TAG the thread with a code, so that people can do a search and find the most recent deals... ex. SLICKDEAL - 5/20/10 - Walmart - Turkey Fryers $50 ea

and every deal post could be started with "SLICKDEAL" or something along those lines... date of deal may or may not be necessary, location should be defined in thread title, maybe identify whether it is an online (WWW) or brick and mortar retail location (B&M), and a little description with price..

"GREATDEAL:" could be used instead of slickdeal etc. we should just try and find a tag that people on hbt can adopt and become familiar with using. hopefully as people see these thread titles popping up in the general forum, it will catch on and spread.

Yeah I like the tagging. Will help with searches too.

And if the Google spiders do their thing, we might even get new people here from searching for a thermometer deal or something.

It would be nice if it was a single thread and we could subscribe to it.

i guess we could start a thread in one of the most appropriate forums (not sure which one best suits this deal thread idea) and hopefully have a mod sticky it. even without a sticky hopefully it will get enough contributors to bump it daily... then everyone will post and itl become more popular than the edworts apfelwein thread

So what do we think is the most appropriate location? I would think it should be a heavily visited one. Aside from the "beginners area" the next two most heavily posted in are 'general' and 'recipes'

I think the general would be the one that meets most appropriate with most visited.

I will start a thread soon.

All for it.
And I agree with Lorena (Yooper) - we don't need a new thread. We may need to discourage links - depending on what the mods say -
we can just tell others what you found, and if it's online, leave off the link, just spell it out (like - hey guys, at wal-mart.com they're running a special on coolers - ) if they prefer.

A thread with the GreatDeals title will probably stay bumped to the first page or two most of the time.

On another forum I visit, they have a subcategory in the classified section called "Good Finds". Members would post good deals that they would find in stores or on-line.

Good points about the spam.
Not sure how to work this... If anyone can help that would be great but it does seem like people could just post spam

Any... I didnt know about the turkey fryer deal at home depot... Exactly my reason for the idea in the first place!

Good points about the spam.
Not sure how to work this... If anyone can help that would be great but it does seem like people could just post spam

That's really my only concern. I like that we share great deals with each other, but usually it's with each other because we "know" each other. Having a separate place just for good deals and links would be asking for spam, in my opinion. It'd have to be monitored at least several times a day for abuse, etc. It sounds like more work than I want to put into it, to be honest.

I'm still thinking about the idea.

I agree, Yoop. I can see what would happen with spam.

Maybe eventually someone will figure out a way to do it that reduces spam and your work load.

Thanks for considering it, Yoop.

Thanks Yoop for taking it into consideration.
Like Jay said, Spam could be a big problem...Last thing mods need is more work or headaches.
Personally, I never even thought about the spam issue.
Never seen much spam here so never thought of it.

My two cents, I have no problem with the Mods protecting the vendors, this is a great site and I hope it's profitable for the people who started it.

Also, Costco has Vittle Vaults once a year. Last year I got one and went back to get more but they were sold out. Fast forward, they just came back in this year for $26.95, which is an awesome price. Stackable grain storage, hold a sack plus of base malt. Screw lids with seal to keep oxy spoilage to a minimum. I have a sack of MO, two row and Pils malt in a tiny amount of floor space, can't beat it.

Back