more apple taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdwmonster

Reaction score
Ok, I did a search, and read through the topics on the board, and I didn't see what I was looking for so, here goes.

I (like many) made some Apfelwein as my first cider. The wife loved it, but wanted more "apple" taste out of the cider. Any suggestions on how to get more apple taste?

I used Musslemann's cider for the juice - should I consider a more apple-tasting juice for some/all of the juice (maybe Simple Apple or something?). Would using juice to prime provide more apple flavor? Any other thoughts?

How long have you aged it? More apple flavor will come out after 6 months or more of aging. Also you can change the recipe to use apple juice concentrate instead of the two pounds of dextrose. If all else fails you can buy apple flavoring, but I'd try the other routes first.

Two best ways to insure more apple flavor IMHO is to ditch the added sugar and to let it age.

No, longer than that. No, you can't open it now. Maybe later.

I agree with conpewter, 6 months and the apple flavor will start coming back.

you could also try a different yeast - some complex ale strains, like Burton Ale from White Labs, produce an abundance of fruity esters during fermentation.

I used Burton Ale in my first and, so far, only cider. I just bottled it so it is still a bit early to tell, but it finished at 1.003 or so and seems to have a nice flavor to it.

Try thawing out some frozen apple juice concentrate (FAJC) and add that to your apple juice. It will raise your ABV though as it's more sugar as well as more apple flavour, but if you use it instead of plain sugar, it will give you the same ABV if you do the math for added sugar/total sugars on the label.. Ale yeasts don't strip out the apple flavour as much as wine yeasts do. Regards, GF.

Cote de Blanc yeast gives a lot more apple character than other wine and champagne yeasts. I haven't tried beer yeasts, though.

Ok, I did a search, and read through the topics on the board, and I didn't see what I was looking for so, here goes.

I (like many) made some Apfelwein as my first cider. The wife loved it, but wanted more "apple" taste out of the cider. Any suggestions on how to get more apple taste?

I used Musslemann's cider for the juice - should I consider a more apple-tasting juice for some/all of the juice (maybe Simple Apple or something?). Would using juice to prime provide more apple flavor? Any other thoughts?

Dude, look in the cider section for GRAFF. or check out the thread in this forum called "Best Cider Ever"

BIG apple taste in about a month from initial fermentation.

Back