How long does Edwort's Apfelwine take to ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strantor

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been answered more than once in the last 1076 pages of the epic Apfelwine thread, but I don't I'm not feeling up to reading all of it. Also I made my own thread because I don't want my question to be quickly buried 8 pages deep with no answer.

Anyway, How long does this stuff take to ferment? I thought I read 1 month there, but it's only been 5 days and seems to be nearly done. It was bubbling furiously. actually caused my starsan/water airlock fluid to bubble out of the airlock twice and I had to replenish it. now I'm getting maybe 1 bubble per minute. Is something wrong?

What kind of yeast did you use? If you used Montrachet and fermented it at 65F or so it shouldn't ferment "furiously" - just a little ring of small bubbles at the neck of the carboy. Days 3 - 5 smell like "rhino farts," but this passes. (Pun intended.) It takes about a month to ferment and then to clear. Wait as long as you can to bottle.

it is in the pantry, ~70deg F. I used montrachet. I never smelled the rhino farts.

If I fermented too warm (assuming 70 is too warm) and it fermented super fast, does that mean it's probably done?

A couple weeks to ferment, a couple months to get good, and a year to become AWESOME!

Seriously, it's hard to wait, but it's easier if you make two batches. One to sample and taste and drink now-ish, and another to drink next February.

A couple weeks to ferment, a couple months to get good, and a year to become AWESOME!

Seriously, it's hard to wait, but it's easier if you make two batches. One to sample and taste and drink now-ish, and another to drink next February.

Yes I'm starting another one just for this reason. I'm impatient.

I already have the juice. I am reluctant to throw it in the fermenter though, suspecting I did something wrong the first time and not wanting to repeat my mistake.

I should have made the title of this thread: "Edwort's Apfelwine - stopped bubbling after 5 days - is something wrong?" What I'm really looking for here is some reassurance, or possible explanation for the drop off in fermenter action.

Not sure what to tell you, just throwing this out there, mine is 8 days in and still bubbling every 2-3 seconds, took about 2 days to really get going. Using the red star montrachet

Will

Not sure what to tell you, just throwing this out there, mine is 8 days in and still bubbling every 2-3 seconds, took about 2 days to really get going. Using the red star montrachet

Will

I used red star montrachet as well. Mine was "really going" after 6 hours. after 12 hours, it was blowing all the star san water out of the air lock.

I rehydrated the yeast in lukewarm sugarwater for ~15min before pitching, but I always do that.

Mine is still bubbling slightly after a month. It smells really nice. Sooo hard to wait months to try it, but everyone says it's worth it.

Just curious if it’s ok to ferment this with Montrachet yeast in a spare carboy at my 78-82 F degree room temp. Its very warm where I live and I can’t tie up my fermentation chamber for a year.

Back