Hello from Japan!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surume

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I'm Surume, 22yr old college student, and I recently got into homebrewing.

I've bottle-fermented a few batches of ginger beer in the past, but earlier this month I got a copy of the "Complete Joy of Homebrewing", and this afternoon I just received my first set of LME, hops and yeast - Black Rock Whispering Wheat, Saaz hop pellets and Fermentis WB-06 Wheat Yeast. At 12 hours after pitching yeast, fermentation is going nicely and smelling hints of banana. I think I'm going to like my new hobby.

Japan doesn't have a solid homebrewing community - although there are several decent microbreweries and a couple of out of date websites regarding homebrewing, there aren't any proper homebrewing stores (except one on the internet and amazon), and no place where I can discuss homebrewing or ask questions.

Soooo... nice to meet you all!

Thanks guys! Right now my brew is fermenting nicely at 26 degrees celcius - a little too high for my liking but can't help the local climate. Smelling nicely of bananas too.

I'm also considering trying out partial mashes on a smaller scale (5 litres) to experiment a little - time to read through the forums I suppose :D

Welcome! I was lucky enough to visit Japan for 2 weeks when I was 19. God, I want to go back! You've found the right place for all of your homebrewing questions/research/advice. Check out the beginners forum and read the FAQ and check out the how-to's. Great stuff on here.

Welcome!

If you ever make it to Numazu you should reach out to Chris Poel, the head brewer at Baird Brewing. He is a longtime homebrewer from Japan and has likely found solutions to many of the challenges of brewing in Japan.

He maintains an English blog here:
http://bairdbeer.com/en/blog_numazu/

Hmm, I've looked up Baird Brewing before, but I didn't know the head brewer wasn't Japanese! Numazu is 2 hours by train and although the train fares are a little steep for me (I'm still in college), I will definitely attempt to arrange a trip when I start working in April. Thanks for the info!

NeoSapienさん、ありがとうございます :)

Latest posts

Back