Lagunitas IPA + Gypsum

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danio

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just a quick question. I'm making a Lagunitas IPA right now from 100% RO water (all grain of course.) I added 1 tsp of CaCl and 1 tsp Gypsum to the mash and hit my pH and all is well.

My question is is this a beer that would benefit from another 1tsp addition of gypsum at the boil time directly to the brew pot to accentuate the hops? In looking at some reports of recipes online people mention Jamil adding gypsum to the boil but no one says how much or what water he was starting with.

Its no big deal, just thought I'd see if people had feedback if they've tasted the real beer before. Thanks!

Dan

The real question is as to whether you would like it better with more gypsum or not and the best way to find that out is to experiment. You can tell roughly what is going to happen by adding gypsum to a glass of the finished beer. If you think it improves the beer then add some more to the mash or boil next time you brew it. If you think the converse then reduce the gypsum next time you brew it. Personally I would think 2 tsp gypsum an awful lot but that's my personal taste.

OK, that's a good way to look at it, thanks. I stuck with the 1tsp and am currently mid-boil. Whoohooo!

Back