Uh Oh . . . Kegerator too cold :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonvolt

Reaction score
Just opened my kegerator to pull a draft of my Vienna Lager (hiding in the fridge . . . not on tap :eek: ).

Anyway, I looked at the dusseldorf sticke alt I have been lagering and noticed that it is frozen on top :eek: . It has been cold here lately. I have the kegerator turned all the to its warmest setting. I am not interested in an icebeer . . . but what effect may this have on my beer? Should I just leave it, or should I bring it in to warm it up?

This also got me to thinking what was happening in my corny kegs. I have been pulling drafts, but do you think that there may be a frozen layer on top of them?

Does anyone else keep their kegerator in the garage? If so, can you keep it from freezing?

Shake it up well after it thaws. I had a beer freeze once, and a lot of stuff settled out. I got 2-3 really strong flavored glasses and the rest was watery.

I keep my kegger in the garage, so far it hasn't frozen in there. You might consider getting an electric pipe tape and wrapping it around the taps. Brew will separate if ice forms in the keg. The alcohol will concentrate along with the malt and other "impurities". Shaking the keg up after it thaws will take care of the problem.

If your cornies freeze completely, there is a good chance that they will split.

Back