Help with converting a gearhead motor to a stirrer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stoutaholic

Reaction score
I'm trying to build a stirrer that will faciliate whirlpooling during chilling. I bought one of these motors (63 RPM Rotation CCW, Torque 10 lb-in ) based upon a recommendation. I believe it is what Carl's Wort-O-Matic uses as a stirrer.

Anyway, now I am wondering how to remove the gearhead. I want to be able to attach a propeller shaft, and obviously the gearhead is preventing me from doing that. Anyone have any ideas on how to remove it?

This is what I have:
mtr5758.jpg

This is what I want to build:
216.jpg

Thanks,
Shaun

Do you just want to remove that gear on the end of the shaft? The gearbox stays correct?

The description in that link says there is a keyway so I would also expect there to be a setscrew (probably allen-head) in there somewhere. A keyway is just a slot in the end of the shaft and a small rectangular 'key' goes into that slot...that leaves half of the key protruding from the shaft and that locks into a keyway (slot) in the gear. A setscrew often holds the key in. You should be able to loosen the setscrew and that should allow it to come off. HTH.

Yep, exactly, I just want to remove the gear on the end of the shaft. I'll take another look at the gearhead when I get home and see if I can find the setscrew. Thanks for the help!

Back