10 gallon mash tun price

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sports Authority or other sports store might be the way to go. They are probably trying to get rid of some of their rectangular coolers. Just buy one of those and go to HD for the ss braid and valve stuff. I bought a 12.5 gallon cooler for ~$30 with tax.

The midwest link for the MLT is for $120.

I built one using a Home Depot 10 gallon cooler and the bulkhead/ball valve from Austin Homebrew Supply, and a stainless braid from Lowe's for about $75.

Cooler from HD $40
Bulkhead, Brass Valve, & two Brass Barbs, $27.66
Stainless Water supply hose from Lowes, $7
Stainless Worm Clamp from Lowe's 2 for $0.88

Total cost $ 75.54

Round coolers are pricey, square coolers are cheap. $15 for my rectangular 48qt from Wal-Mart. Then $6 for a valve, $4 for random fittings, and $5 for a toilet hose to make a S/S manifold. $30 total project.

Sorry if I misled saying the MLT from midwest was $60. I was trying to piece together their system and it seemed decently priced. It includes the 10 gallon cooler, false bottom and cooler conversion. $120 didn't seem like too bad of a price since the false bottoms are around $45 and the conversion kits about $30.

I'm thinking I want the false bottom as opposed to the stainless braid.

Hmmm. I've never understood why people like false bottoms, they seem "finicky" unless you're planning to fly sparge. BUT, I still respect your preference....

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?p=794800#post794800 <- Is a link to a thread about building your own false bottom for a rectangle/square cooler. Yuri (see the last pic) is using an Ice Cube cooler, you can find those for about $30 for a good-sized one at Wallymart or Target or wherever you shop. (Especially since we're getting near the end of summer, watch for those clearance sales!!!) Then used pre-holed stainless, cut to size, and attached "feet".

I'll especially never understand peoples' affinity to their round coolers, since they're small and limited in grain capacity, but hey! To each their own. The only "convincing" argument I've read has been storage space... But I just store my rectangle cooler with on its side. But i'm sure it's just like aluminum kettles or IC vs CFC or any of the myriad of other "hot" debates that we homebrewers will always have.

I'll especially never understand peoples' affinity to their round coolers

I've been using my 10 gallon round cooler as an insulated water jacket for keeping my fermenting bucket cool... it's a multitasker.

Chriso said:
I've never understood why people like false bottoms, they seem "finicky" unless you're planning to fly sparge.

Chriso said:
I'll especially never understand peoples' affinity to their round coolers, since they're small and limited in grain capacity, but hey!

I "english" sparge but I know when I was making that decision the ability to fly sparge properly did factor in. Rectangular coolers are more apt to "channel" when fly sparging but round coolers are less likely.

I bought a $20 rectangular cooler from Wal-Mart and found that the spigot wasn't removeable and wasn't suited to a mash tun. Having spent the money and time, I decided not to deviate from FlyGuy's howto and made mine exact.

I did manage to use the rectangular cooler to collect the discharge water from my IC wort chiller and it makes cleanup a snap, even so much as just dipping the IC for a bath. :)

Wow, everyone wants to quote me!

I just wanted to clarify - I'm not saying it's not valid. I'm just being honest and saying "I don't get it" - trying to use full disclaimer. I heartily encourage each brewer to pick what works best for them. In my case, my cooler was free, and the spigot was removable, so I just lucked out. Maybe if my friend, from whom I learned "the basics", was a round-cooler enthusiast, I may have come out as such too.

I'm not mad, I just wanted to make sure that nobody thought I was tryin' to "diss" anyone else's methods. Just trying to talk about what I know works for me.

Cheers mates! (This RIS is really good. I think I'm gonna lay down for a minute. Typing is getting pretty difficult. :) )

Back