Degassing sugar primed keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PowPow

Reaction score
All you people that prime your kegs with sugar, do you degas it before connecting it to your co2 lines?

As soon as I put the beer and corn sugar for priming into the keg I seal the lid with 30 psi of CO2 and purge it a couple of times to remove any oxygen. I then disconnect the gas line and let it sit for a couple of weeks at room temperature. The 30 psi guarantees me of a good seal but does not actually carbonate the beer. The sugar does that over the next couple of weeks. I then put the keg into the keezer and connect the gas line at serving pressure. After a day or two to cool down it's ready to tap.

As soon as I put the beer and corn sugar for priming into the keg I seal the lid with 30 psi of CO2 and purge it a couple of times to remove any oxygen. I then disconnect the gas line and let it sit for a couple of weeks at room temperature. The 30 psi guarantees me of a good seal but does not actually carbonate the beer. The sugar does that over the next couple of weeks. I then put the keg into the keezer and connect the gas line at serving pressure. After a day or two to cool down it's ready to tap.

Aren't you concerned that the pressure from the priming could be higher than your serving pressure? That would make the beer flow into you regulator, right?

Nope, you can always bleed the pressure on the keg if you need to get the serving pressure right. The only way beer can get into regulator is if you have your beer and co2 lines hooked up wrong.

ChuckO said:

This is my exact process for my last 2 kegs thanks to finally having a pipeline established. I have usually only left the keg at room temp for about 1.5 weeks but that's due to kicking a keg and wanting another on tap. I haven't had one over pressurized yet.

Okay, I was under the impression that if you have a higher pressure in the keg than the pressure coming from the regulator, the co2 (and beer if it were to come close to the co2 dip tube) would be sucked up through the co2 line and possibly destroy your regulator..

Don't know where I read that though..

Back