unhealthy obsession with brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbeerbeer123

Reaction score
Does anyone else have an unhealthy obsession with brewing? This **** is taking over my life..i think i need to go to Brewers anonymous haha..

I have more of an unhealthy obsession with drinking beer.

At least my obsession with brewing has me lifting things that weigh more than a pint glass.

if I'm not brewing, I'm thinking about brewing. or reading about brewing. or thinking about reading about brewing.

actual brewing takes up less time than the thinking, reading and thinking about reading about brewing

but I wouldn't call that obsessive

great... now I'm not just thinking about obsessing about beer, I'm reading about obsessing about beer

if i'm not brewing, i'm thinking about brewing. Or reading about brewing. Or thinking about reading about brewing.

Actual brewing takes up less time than the thinking, reading and thinking about reading about brewing

but i wouldn't call that obsessive

+1

yeah good point ..its only a problem if you make it a problem...but its crazy all day and all night constantly thinking about brewing.. beer so god damn good and fun as hell to make

i have an obsessive character but brewing is ridiculous.

perspective:

about 8 years ago i got into headphones, purchased some mid-fi gear, got hooked into being able to hear nuances i'd previously missed and drowned myself in information. learned how to build small 9v amplifiers, and ended up with a few gainclones, modified playstation cd players, modified turntables with diy tonearms...

got bored with that eventually then got into cycling...
restored a 70's racer, stripped and re-painted a few frames, started interval training, buying obscure bargains on ebay and building kitch and wierd bikes, maintaining my workhorse racer the whole time...

still cycle but got bored with the gear,
now 3 years after getting into brewing, im still as enthusiastic as ever, not like the last fads i got into, this one is in my blood!

the way i see it, life is education. Passion and amateur (from the latin for love btw) pursuit is a wonderful way to enrich the soul, banish monotony and expand the mind. for me, homebrewing encompasses this, and better than all, the end product is something wonderfully social, cultural and satisfying to a degree that will keep me enthralled for a lifetime.

Does anyone else have an unhealthy obsession with brewing? This **** is taking over my life..i think i need to go to Brewers anonymous haha..

I've had worse things take over my life. Thinking about brewing all the time keeps my pretty sane, actually.

no complaints here

1. tasty product gets you drunk
2. community is not very competitive
3. justifiable return on investment

During the summer I replace my unhealthy obsession with brewing, with my unhealthy obsession with boating. During the winter I replace my unhealthy obsession with boating with my unhealthy obsession with brewing.

During the summer on my boat I drink the brews I made over the winter. During the winter I think about boating when I'm brewing. I also shoot over the winter when I'm not boating but I don't drink when I'm doing that.

My wife thinks I'm obsessive about my hobbies but the more I think about that I don't think that I think that I'm obsessive.

If I had a spare $15mil, I'd buy a boat with a brewery and a shooting range. Pretty standard really...

if I'm not brewing, I'm thinking about brewing. or reading about brewing. or thinking about reading about brewing.

actual brewing takes up less time than the thinking, reading and thinking about reading about brewing

Could not have said it better:tank:

GrogNerd said:

The only things you missed are talking about beer and posting about beer.

I think it's healthy as it gets! I have a healthy obsession. Why is it healthy you ask? It makes me freakin' happy to brew, read about brewing, post about brewing, read posts about posts about brewing, dream about the ultimate home brewery, or even walk through the hardware store looking at EACH AND EVERY THING FOR SALE from the angle of brewing. I'm happy right now posting this!

Now SWMBO? She may think differently about my brewing but screw it! :rockin: What the heck does she know about brewing anyway!?! Haha! :mug:

I do, and it's actually somewhat frustrating because I'm pretty limited living in an apartment in NYC with no space, and no outdoor area. Pipe dream of setting up a 15gallon system with a proper burner, oh how I pine for you.

While I'm finally making the switch to AG as I slowly figure out how to make it work on my stove and small sink... it's just feeding my obsession in a very unhealthy way :(

I think it's healthy as it gets! I have a healthy obsession. Why is it healthy you ask? It makes me freakin' happy to brew, read about brewing, post about brewing, read posts about posts about brewing, dream about the ultimate home brewery, or even walk through the hardware store looking at EACH AND EVERY THING FOR SALE from the angle of brewing. I'm happy right now posting this!

Now SWMBO? She may think differently about my brewing but screw it! :rockin: What the heck does she know about brewing anyway!?! Haha! :mug:

I do the same thing ..The only reason i posted this thread cause i constantly doing something brew related..and i always talk about it to my family/friend who really dont give a rats ass about brewing(they just like the finished beer) but cant help it haha..and i keep on getting the "intervention" look or rolling eyes like "here we go again" ..Brewing is my passion and it makes me happy as a pig in shi% but they fam/friends dont think so thats where i got the "unhealthy" part..cheers

I can totally relate. I stumbled upon HBT one day when i googled a question about homebrew, and have never looked back. I, too find myself thinking about brewing constantly. I spend at least 2 hours a day on HBT just surfing the posts and getting incredibly useful information from everybody on here. Right now, im at work on HBT. I have alot of paperwork to do, but again, it is an obsession. Just home my Commanding Officer doesnt find out. I was going to wait until tomorrow to brew my Red Hook ESB clone, but chances are i will do it tonight when i get home!! :mug:

While I don't think I'm obsessed my wife believes differently.

This. Definitely this. And it usually comes with "you care more about beer than you do about me!"

I do, and it's actually somewhat frustrating because I'm pretty limited living in an apartment in NYC with no space, and no outdoor area. Pipe dream of setting up a 15gallon system with a proper burner, oh how I pine for you.

While I'm finally making the switch to AG as I slowly figure out how to make it work on my stove and small sink... it's just feeding my obsession in a very unhealthy way :(

I know the feeling. I'd love to at least have a propane fired system, but it ain't happening any time soon. AG in a small apartment on the stove, however, I'm able to make that work under less than ideal conditions (namely, I do partial boil AG).

Wouldn't say obsessed, that's for crazy people, yea...crazy people....crazy nutty people....nutty....nut brown...brown....choholate.....black......black and tan...tan....pale....pale ale....India pale ale.....hhahahahaa.........hop.

Wait, what was the question?

and walking through the grocery store looking at EACH AND EVERY THING FOR SALE and thinking, "is this fermentable?"

I do that too! Grab a gallon of milk? Bam! Milk Stout! Need some instant oatmeal for the kids breakfast? Why not get the regular oatmeal? Bam! Oatmeal stout! Need chicken? Hmmmmm...didn't Papazian mention chicken ale in The Joy of Homebrewing? Naw. But, I could make beer butt chicken! Bam!

And then something we have all thought a time or two at the grocery store, "I sure wish they sold corn sugar. Why don't they anyway? It's not fair!"

beerbeerbeer123 said:

What it's unhealthy ! Haha I'm hooked, now where's my beer at.

Qhrumphf said:
This. Definitely this. And it usually comes with "you care more about beer than you do about me!"

just got this on for the first time last night. Good thing I was drinkin'....

Don't worry it gets worse... I mean better.. ummm I mean I don't have a problem at all it must just be you! Actually I just realized I had an obsession last weekend when the lady at the local pub asked me what I would like engraved into my new member glass..and my reply of course was "HBT" :mug:

Don't worry it gets worse... I mean better.. ummm I mean I don't have a problem at all it must just be you! Actually I just realized I had an obsession last weekend when the lady at the local pub asked me what I would like engraved into my new member glass..and my reply of course was "HBT" :mug:

I blame all the non brewers around me who make me feel like a beer psycho ..not myself

+1 again. That pretty much sums it up. As far as the woman she bought me my first few kits as presents so as far as shes concerned she actually likes the idea of me being so immersed in something that was "her idea"

Wife doesn't drink beer, but she does drink wine. I got her a wine kit, now we have 100 bottles of wine in the house at any given time. She will even say to me" Do you need to go to the beer store this weekend...I need more bottles,corks,ect". Works out well for equipment too. "hey honey....you better get a vinator for your wine bottles, and a carboy scrubber...don't forget some Star-San"
If only I could talk her in to kegging her wine I could build a bigger keezer...

It's just fun to do. I love to tinker in the kitchen and this is the ultimate in tinkering for me... plus i get beer.

I'm 27.5 gallons so far into the new year and I'm getting nervous about kegging next week and am getting nervous about only having two fermenters going. i can't stop thinking about my next batch or the next addition to my setup. I carry my brew journal with me almost everywhere now.

...I'm getting nervous about kegging next week and am getting nervous about only having two fermenters going....

Kegging is the bee's knees! :fro: Nothing to worry about. Not only does it take 1/10th the time of bottling, but it had the practical effect of freeing up my fermenters more quickly. I'd gotten to where i hated bottling so much that I really put it off, and ended up buying more fermenters rather than bottling. Now I have ~64.5 gallons of fermenter space, but almost never keep beer in them more than 10 days. Once they hit FG, I transfer into one of my 9 kegs, even for long-term storage. My 3-tap kegerator only holds 3x5gal cornies anyway (although I could probably get a "Scotty" on the hump...hmmmm...). Now I just need a keg chilling fridge to go along with my beer fridge and my temp control fridge. :mug:

Plus now I've gone pretty much exclusively to 10gal batches. I've had the capacity in theory since fall of 2011, but mostly stuck to 5gal. With 200gal in 2012, I've got my process down and my recipe formulation is pretty strong, so I feel good about making 10gal each brew. All of which means my beer production is threatening to get crazy. I've already bought 3 sacks of base malt, and have used 1.5. Next thing is a group buy, I hope.

(Wait.. didn't somebody say something about an unhealthy obsession...?)

Kegging is the bee's knees! :fro: Nothing to worry about. Not only does it take 1/10th the time of bottling, but it had the practical effect of freeing up my fermenters more quickly.

See, this is why i love the homebrewing community... its just so friendly. I do keg already and somehow there was a disconnect between my brain and fingers in typing my post, but if i really was nervous, your post would've talked me off that ledge. cheers! :mug:

Back