Carboy Too Big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SiaFhir

Reaction score
Hello, I've been making wine from kits for the last three years. Last week I tried my hand at making wine from scratch. I'm making apple wine using my neighbour's tree (with permission of course) and a recipe from H.E. Bravery's book Home Winemaking Without Failures. It called for the juice from 10lbs of apples and a gallon of water with 3 1/2 lbs of sugar.

I found a few days ago that amounts to somewhere between 1 1/2 gallons and 2 gallons of liquid. I have either a couple 1-gallon jugs or a 3-gallon carboy I have nothing in between so I chose the larger carboy rather than splitting the wine into the two jugs. I fitted a bung and airlock on the carboy.

So, here's the question: is there such a thing as a 2-gallon carboy/jug? Or another question is: is it okay that have that much airspace in the carboy, keeping in mind that fermentation is continuing so the air below the bung & airlock is mostly CO2?

Thanks for your help.

The 3 gallon fermentor will be fine for that amount. Although when your fermentation is complete and you rack your wine, you want minimal headspace. Any decent glass vessel you find can be used as a fermentor if properly cleaned and sanitized.

Thanks for your response. I checked the local supply store, and they have 1/2 gallon jugs, so I have the option of using that and one of my 1-gallons once fermentation is done. The other option is to top it up with fresh-pressed apple juice, and let it ferment with the rest of the juice (as long as it doesn't have any sulphites in it). I might do that, so I have more bottles in the end. :)

For primary the 3 gallon carboy is fine. For secondary your best bet is to keep a combination of different glass jugs lying around, AND some glass marbles that you can sanitize and add to an underfilled jug to reduce headspace.

Back