What style beer would you say this is ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
5 Gallons ( 1.065 )

Mash
2 # Munich
2 # Vienna
1 # Cara Aroma

Extract
7.7 # LME

Hops
1 oz. Centennial ( 50 minutes )
1 oz. Cascade ( 30 minutes )
1 oz. Cascade ( 15 minutes )
2 oz. Cascade ( 5 minutes )

Yeast
Safale US-05

Come on someone tell me what kind of beer this would be.. I know it would be some kind of "Ale" but beyond that I'm at a loss.

Where does a beer like this fit in ?

"Beer"

It's some kind of medium-large, domestic ale, I'd call it an "American Red," maybe it's an American Brown depending on where the color lands. But, that's a fairly generic-looking recipe.

Ah... Thanks.

I was intending to a clone of Sweetwater 420 Pale Ale, but I got confused with my shopping and got the wrong grain(s). The gravity turned out higher than expected too, but I'll drink it and learn.

Thanks!

It could be IPA. I wouldn't think IIPA, there, OG really starts at around 1075-ish. Might be too dark for IPA, which is why I suggest "American Red" or "American Brown".

I punched it into BeerSmith and came up with an OG estimate of 1.082, IBU's @ 52.5 (using BeerSmith's default AA%) and SRM @ 20.

I agree with bird that it's a bit dark for an IIPA, and not hoppy enough. High enough starting gravity though.

hmmm well my original gravity wasn't quite that high ( 1.065 )

I'd like to try it again and follow the sweetwater 420 clone recipe more closely, but just judging by the smell and taste ( I sampled when I took my hydrometer reading ) its going to be excellent.

Let me ask you guys a followup question... When you add the hops, is it normal for the hop scent to not become apparent right away ? I mean as I was cooking and cooling, it didn't smell like there was going to be as much hop aroma as I expected, but this morning I had to clean out the airlock and I accidentally pushed the little plastic o-ring thing into the fermenter so I cracked it open to see if I could fish it out - wow it really smelled awesomely hoppy. I couldn't see the o-ring so I just got another one from a spare fermenting bucket I have.

oh well anyway, yeah the hop scent ... is it normal that the hop scent doesn't become apparent maybe until later ?

It didn't smell nearly so hoppy as I was cooking and cooling. Smells freaking fantastic this morning though.

Back