when to add candi sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i've looked at a bunch of belgian recipes on here but nobody seems to mention when to add the candi sugar.. can somebody please tell me? is it in the boil, into the fermenter, or possibly even the mash? thanks, i have no idea

Toward end of boil- about 15 min. At least that is what I did for my Belgian and it turned out pretty damn good

It depends on the situation. Typically if it's a small amount (a couple of pounds) it's added to the boil. Traditionally adjucnts are added in the last 15 minutes of the boil, (They are added then usually to reduce boiling away essential oils and flavor components which are volitle.)

But with sugar, although folks typically add in the last 15 minutes of the boil, you can add it at anytime, there's nothing volitile to be driven off by extended boiling. A lot of time I add it right away, just so I don't forget.

For larger amounts of sugar, or when making big beers it's usually a good idea to spread the additions into the fermentation, it makes it easier on the yeast, to eat the simple sugars after the complex ones from barley have been consumed, rather than trying to eat it all at once.

In that case I do multiple feedings, waiting til the first krausen falls, then I ad some of the sugar addition then, (usually another krausen will form) then adding subsequent additions as each krausen falls.

It depends on the situation. Typically if it's a small amount (a couple of pounds) it's added to the boil. Traditionally adjucnts are added in the last 15 minutes of the boil, (They are added then usually to reduce boiling away essential oils and flavor components which are volitle.)

But with sugar, although folks typically add in the last 15 minutes of the boil, you can add it at anytime, there's nothing volitile to be driven off by extended boiling. A lot of time I add it right away, just so I don't forget.

For larger amounts of sugar, or when making big beers it's usually a good idea to spread the additions into the fermentation, it makes it easier on the yeast, to eat the simple sugars after the complex ones from barley have been consumed, rather than trying to eat it all at once.

In that case I do multiple feedings, waiting til the first krausen falls, then I ad some of the sugar addition then, (usually another krausen will form) then adding subsequent additions as each krausen falls.

When doing multiple or incremental feedings, do you stir/mix the sugar in as you add it or do you just pour it in? I'm thinking of doing this with some candi sugar syrup but wasn't sure how to add. I would hate to oxidize it. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back