3 weeks til I need to deliver beer for a wedding

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I have a friend that has asked me to make a beer for his daughters wedding. Due to lifes schedule I am really late in getting this started. He wanted a Lager but that is not going to happen. I need something similar without any hops and something that can be pushed along and still deliver a good product.

Any suggestions?

Are you kegging?

Yes, all grain set up for 10 to 15 gallon batches and forced carb in kegs.
I am looking for something with a little extra body than a pils or a light beer.
These are not craft beer people but could be converted :drunk: I hear a big starter and using a yeast that clears quickly is the key. Not sure what types of Yeast that is though...

Just kicked my first keg of Centennial Blonde and I, too, would recommend it. I will be brewing my second batch this weekend for late July drinking by the pool.

Cream of Three Crops is another that's very good for the BMC crowd - looks super familiar for them, but has a little more flavor to it. Finishes nice and quick too. Best of all, the grain bill is nice and inexpensive, so if you're making a lot of it it won't hit your wallet too hard.

I've brewed the Centennial Blonde, and it was nice. Not sure if I'd brew it again.

I just brewed Biermuncher's Cream of Three Crops and tasted the hydro sample last night - that's some good beer!

I'd choose the Cream of Three Crops over the Centennial Blonde.

The Centennial blonde is a good idea, so is the Cream of 3 Crops.

Personally, if it was me, I'd do a simple wheat, as they seem to ferment the fastest, and are hard to get wrong.
Another idea is Nilo's blue-moon clone recipe. It's pretty much a wheat grainbill, and is always a crowd pleaser. (plus the orange and corriander can cover up any off flavors you might get with a short ferment)

My only advice is to cold-crash.
It clears up the beer a bit, and you'll get less yeast when you rack. Which is good, because you're going to need very clear beer in a keg that's getting moved around before serving.
Also it gives you a huge head start on force-carbing time if you rack directly to the keg.

3 weeks isn't a lot of time, so get brewing!

I would consider a Hef as well. Almost impossible to screw up from a fermentation stand point. Where the sins of high temperatures can destroy a normal beer. Hef's get more banana ester goodness (withing reason). Hef's are pretty simple and hard to get wrong.

I just did a simple blonde - 95% 2 row, 5% C-20, Saaz additions at 60 min and 15 min (about 24 IBU), US-05. It tastes great - clean and crisp, kind of like a less hoppy pilsener.

Definitely recommend a hefe - you can bottle it and still go grain to glass in slightly under a month, with kegs it'd be no problem.

I had the same problem last year, brewing a beer in about 10 days for a July 4th party, and had this recipe suggested by permo:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/need-recipe-summer-beer-fast-kettle-keg-252997/#post3029963

It got great reviews (had three beers on tap) and coincidentally, I just did a second batch exactly a year later, as a result of additional poor planning.

I used Safale-04 this time and had fermentation cranking in about 6h. Wort was on the higher side when I pitched.

Hopefully it turns out good again!

Jason

Back