End of brew questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AGBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed a stout last night, (75% eff. best yet :D ) I use a cfc with march pump and recirculate til temp hits under 140 then pump right into fermenters, this is a good practice right? Also wondering at what temp I can begin oxygenating my wort? I have unlimited supply of medical oxygen and I would like to oxygenate as early as possible. Thanks

Holy crap, how hot is your tapwater that you can only get to 140 with a CFC and a pump?

I use gravity feed and can drain my 5g batches into a bucket in about 15 minutes @ about 90F

The only reason he's recicurcing to 140 is to get the entire kettle down below DMS production as fast as possible. It's not to say the CFC will not cool to pitching immediately to the fermenter. You just don't want wort sitting at 200F while it's waiting to get drained. You dilute it with incoming 75F water on it's way back to the kettle from the CFC.

BobbyM is correct. With the 40cfc I built I can go from boiling to 65 degrees from the kettle to the fermenter in one pass. Now what about the oxidization question bobby?

When you say unlimited do you mean large bottles or having to use little bottles.

If I'm not mistaken you can chill the wort with the oxygen.

But the question is can you give it tooo much?

I don't believe there's any benefit to oxygenating sooner so I'd put the airstone in the fermenter and turn it on low (.25lpm since you have a med reg) just as you start going from the CFC to the fermenter.

I don't start aerating until I hit pitching temp.

I think that Palmer suggests not to aerate until you drop below 90*F

You don't want Hot side aeration.

I don't think you want to oxygenate the wort until you've got it at pitching temps. I know HSA is very rare, but if it can happen at mash temps which are close to the 140 you are doing during the recirculation, then I would wait and do it after the final pass through the cfc.

If you have medical grade O2, you may want to look into a in-line oxygenation system. B3 sells one (though it's not cheap). It could be possible to make one, but I'm not sure how. If you go this route, I would also suggest getting a dissolved oxygen meter. It is possible to over oxygenate the wort.

By unlimited I mean 10lb bottles, as many as I want. Chill the wort with oxygen, I would like to hear more on that. I usually aerate as I'm going to fermenter but if I could do it sooner I could close everything up sooner. I have thought about building an inline oxygen system but my brew partners and I all use my airstone so it would force them to buy their own, and its not a big deal to me.

Back