I boiled off to much

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnp

Reaction score
So I got a new BK which is much wider than my old one, and my suspicion came true when I got my brew into the fermenter and discovered that I only ended with a little over 4 gallons on a 5 gallon batch.

My OG post boil ended up at 1.058 instead of the 1.050 I was aiming for so I think my efficiency was close..

What should I do: Top off to 5 gallons with distilled water or just leave it and drink fewer gallons of more concentrated beer?!

I'd top off to hit my target OG. Do whatever you like! :mug: Might end up with a tastier beer if you leave it au natural...

I have bottles of spring water available when I come up short on volume, but my OG is high. I try to stay true to the recipe as far as OG/FG. But, either way, your gonna be fine.

If it's my own recipe that I'm brewing for the first time, I may just leave it since I didn't know exactly how it was going to turn out anyway. If I have a pretty good idea of what I'm shooting for or if I'm trying to replicate a trusted recipe, I'll adjust to hit my intended gravity. There are various calculators available to give you the correct amount of top-off water for dilution.

Beersmith's dilution tool says to add .7 gallons to get an OG of 1.050.

Back