What do you use for Primary Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Primary Vessel?

• Bottling bucket

• Bucket no spigot

• Better Bottle

• Carboy

• Conical

• Other

Results are only viewable after voting.

ryanmcl

Reaction score
Just curious what is popular out there. I need to pick up some more vessels.

I use buckets 98% of the time. I just picked up a 6.5 gallon carboy for fermenting sours.

I use a better bottle 6 gal.for primary usually and my glass carboys for secondary`s
to keep the pipline goin`

both glass carboys and better bottles. Just started using better bottles. I like them so far but we will see how durable they are.

both glass carboys and better bottles. Just started using better bottles. I like them so far but we will see how durable they are.

They hold up pretty well,but watch the bottoms they will dent.I`ve used mine for 2 years and it still hangin` in there.

I mostly use a food-grade plastic fermentation bucket. Easier to carry, no worry about dropping a fully loaded glass carboy. Also easier to get the wort into the bucket than a carboy.

But, I also have a couple glass carboys(6.5 gallon) I picked up off Amazon for $30 each (shipped). I've used these, and they have the advantage of being able to watch all the awesome yeast action. :)

I generally use my Coopers fermenter because I love the convenience and being able to watch the fermentation progress.

When I have something in my Coopers fermenter or am doing something that requires a secondary, I use a 6.5 gallon bucket.

I use 8 gallon buckets. But, I do have about 4 glass carboys and a plastic barrel around just in case I have a need. which is often.

I use buckets for primary because it's easier to get the wort in the bucket from the brew kettle than it is with a carboy

Glass carboys (2x. 6.5 gallon and 1x. 5gal) for pretty much everything. If I'm low on fermenter space I sometimes have to use a bucket

Also,they're not bottling buckets mearly because they have a spigot. I have the older cooper's micro brew fermenter (the one sold right before the DIY type),& it has a spigot. Our other one is a BB ale pale that came with a barrel tap. Since I use high flocculation yeasts,they work fine with the spigots. Just wanted to point that out...

I use a plain US Plastics 7 gal. bucket. Cheap, easy to carry & store, and efficient. For 5 gallon batches, I can't imagine using anything else.

Also,they're not bottling buckets mearly because they have a spigot. I have the older cooper's micro brew fermenter (the one sold right before the DIY type),& it has a spigot. Our other one is a BB ale pale that came with a barrel tap. Since I use high flocculation yeasts,they work fine with the spigots. Just wanted to point that out...

Right... I chose "bottling bucket" because it was the closest choice to my reality. I have a few of the TruBrew buckets with the TIGHT blue lids. I put spigots all of them. I always hated fooling with siphons...

Right... I chose "bottling bucket" because it was the closest choice to my reality. I have a few of the TruBrew buckets with the TIGHT blue lids. I put spigots all of them. I always hated fooling with siphons...

I know what you mean. I used my auto siphon once. I have spigots on everything. I like the red & white Italian one the most,with that recess on the spout that fits my 3/8" tube for racking or bottling wand.

I have a conical, which I love because of the ease of transfer. But when I have multiple batches going (like right now) I have a bucket followed by the 6.5 glass carboy.

Ease of use is the main thing in my book.

I use buckets for anything that will be ready to keg/bottle in less than a month. I use glass carboys for everything else. I have 2x 6.5 gallon glass carboys and 2x 5 gallon glass carboys. I also have 2x 3 gallon better bottles that I've used for half batches of things/aging sours on fruit.

Back