Stir plate question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Would a steel project box interfere with the magnet? Aluminum and plastic do not, but I have a thin steel box from work and I was hoping to use it. I'm worried the steel box with interfere with the magnet.

Some stainless steel's magnetic properties are altered but still give a little pull to strong rare earth magnets. Only really way to know is to test the steel you have with the magents you'll use.

There are plenty of boxes you can you use, i've seen so many on this forum from old routers to gladware tupper ware lol.

If the magnets are attracted to your box, I would imagine that it would over work your motor.

If your looking for a suitable non magnetic box on the cheap (or free more than likley). I would suggest if you have a cigar shop anywhere near you stop in. Most shops are glad to give you as many of the empty high quality wooden cigar boxes as you care to take. They make great looking stir plates.

stirplate3.jpg

Or go with some acrylic like this:

Last edited by a moderator:
I also have an old computer that I gutted. I was thinking about making a four flask stir plate, but the same issue arises. It is made from thin steel and I wasn't sure if it would adversely effect the magnets.

you can get a wood box similar to a cigar box from a craft store for 4-5 bucks or a plastic project box at radio shack for the same, If your box is steel and not stainless I think you will have problems with it.

VB

Latest posts

Back