Horrible tasting Ale? Just add coffee!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkNoonBrewer

Steve Trott
Reaction score
Hey folks, first time thread here. January, I brewed a 10 gal Belgian Strong ale. It was the first time I ever tried making a yeast starter, and I kinda sensed that things were off to a bad start. The starter didnt really smell like good yeast, and it didnt quite perform the way I thought it should. I used it anyway when brew day came around, and as a feared, the beer didnt ferment very strong at all. I waited it out, and kegged 4-6 weeks later anyway. It was in a conical. As months went on, it still tasted under attenuated and overall like a horrible beer. So tonight, i was forcing down a pint sip by sip and I thought to pour in some left over coffee into my pint from this morning. WOW what a great decision! It really balanced out the overly sweet and subtle sourness resulting from the poor attenuation. I then brewed up a very strong batch of coffee and added it to the entire keg. Bad beer fixed! I might add more coffee later on, I just have to wait and see how the flavors mellow out for now.

:mug:

Back