Dual Zone Keezer Chalange

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DZzero15

Reaction score
The Challenge: Create a keezer with one zone for fermenting @ ~65 and one side for serving @ ~40 degrees. Starting point: separate the two compartments with insulation.

Possibilities:
-Dual heater / cooler temperature regulator as shown here:

Freezer Conversion

*Does anyone know where to get a cooler / heater temperature controller similar to the Ferm Temp regulator shown in the link above?

-Computer fan cut into collar blowing room temperature air into second compartment.
-Hole in collar in second compartment.

Anybody try this? Any thoughts? Together, I know we can accomplish this noble task!

:mug:,
Grant

The problem I would see is that with a chest freezer all the sides get cold evenly. So, you couldn't cool the cold compartment without the warm compartment getting some also. I suppose a fan would force some of that cold over to the other side, but it would still be tough.

This could possibly be built, but I would question whether it is worth the trouble. I also think that it would be very difficult to get a good seal between the two chambers and the lid too. Even a small air leak would be a problem. My preference would be to buy a second fridge or freezer which is what I have. Actually, I have three refrigerators and three freezers dedicated to brewing at the moment. I'm also gonna guess that the dual purpose arrangement is going to be an energy hog. Post back and let us know how it works out for you.

The problem I would see is that with a chest freezer all the sides get cold evenly. So, you couldn't cool the cold compartment without the warm compartment getting some also. I suppose a fan would force some of that cold over to the other side, but it would still be tough.

Hadn't thought of that issue. That would be a major obstacle to making this work. I wonder how the guy in the example dealt with that problem.

The more I think about, the more I think I just need to go with the basic keezer set-up. I think a separate fermentation fridge may be the way to go. Just curious to see if it could be / had been done.

The more I think about, the more I think I just need to go with the basic keezer set-up. I think a separate fermentation fridge may be the way to go. Just curious to see if it could be / had been done.

I think to make this work you would have to have a box in the center of the fridge that wouldnt touch the walls. It would be an incredible waste of space

Or use the kezzer to serve the beer and also chill a glycol solution, then run a line to a radiator inside of a separate fermentation chamber.
I bought a new Estar fridge and use my old on for a fermentation chiller usually at 62F, and have an Estar chest freezer as a kezzer just because I'm lazy.

Back