Dark Czar RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JKelleyLBI

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a RIS. I got a little carried away on brewing day and ended up with a higher OG then I intended 1.113 :drunk:

11 lbs dark DME
.5 lb black patent
.5 lb choclate
.25 lb roasted barley
1 lb light crystal
.5 lb weyermann carafa II

2 oz. Kent Golding 60 min
1 oz. Cascade 60 min
1 oz. Super Styrian 60 min

1 oz. Cascade 10 min
1 oz. Kent Golding 10 min

Red Star Champagne Yeast

Two things, and I hope I don't come across as being snarky:

1) Why champagne yeast? That RIS is going to be dry as a bone!
2) As you've just brewed this and can't attest to its quality, this recipe shouldn't be in the database. Only recipes that have been assessed in packaging should be be in the database. Experimental or recipes in progress should be in the 'Recipes and Ingredients' subforum.

my apologies for the oversight in posting protocol, Im trying to remove the post...and the champagne yeast was due to the high OG and not wanting it to finish sweet

Well, RIS should finish a bit on the sweet side (BJCP Guidelines are 1.018 - 1.030 as a finishing gravity); if the champagne yeast finishes as low as I think it might, you're going to have a very dry, thin beer.

Only time will tell!

going back to the point of it being an experimental recipe, I actually pitched us-05 and after the fact began second guessing myself....thinking it would end up too sweet. I listed the champagne yeast on the recipe as I was planning on pitching it into the secondary to ferment out more of the sugar. However seeing the guidelines for RIS you posted, I think I'll skip that part of the plan.

Sorry to "resurrect" an older thread, but I had a bit of a RIS stout emergency myself last night. How did the US-05 finish out? My guess is it crapped out about 1.050?

It crapped out closer to 1.040, and I ended up pitching nottingham instead of the champagne which brought it down to 1.030, where it permanently stopped...and tasted like hell....I will use the us-05 for another imperial stout, but I'll make a huge starter instead of pitching 2 packets as I did with this, oxygenate better then I did with this brew, and keep my OG to closer to 1.080-1.085.

Another thing to do is add some yeast nutrient at the time of the second pitching. Yeast in a lot of higher gravity beers get pooped out due to the lack of the nutrients in the beer (and from high alcohol content).

Bottle that swill, throw it in the basement and forget about it for the next year or two. It's worth tying up the bottles to let it age and just see what happens, no?

I recommend "stepping up" big beers like this, specifically when using extract, by starting with a small volume (4 gallons or so) with a lower OG, using only part of your extract. Then add more extract when fermentation is at it's peak by boiling up (and cooling) 0.5 gallons at a time with the remainder of the extract until you reached your desired gravity. This will ensure complete and clean attenuation.

I'd say it's worth aging- the cost of 11 lbs of DME alone is justification. I added some white oak to the secondary in the hopes it would mellow out some of the flavor...which it didn't...and now the taste of the white oak mixed with the super styrian, cascade, and goldings is reminiscent of a train wreck in slow motion. I figure 5 yrs or so in the bottle should smooth it out.

Latest posts

Back