Yeast starter.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As anybody had luck making a yeast starter without DME? I have plenty of corn sugar but can't make it to the brew store before Tuesday and I want to brew on Monday. I'd like to get the yeast started tonight, 1.030-1.040 OG, 3 liters. It's for a cream ale so I don't want to use honey or dark DME (which of course I have, just no light). Any suggestions?

You want to use malt extract of some sort to make sure the yeast will eat the maltose in the wort. If all I had was dark dme I would make a starter with that and decant off as much liquid as I could the remaining half liter shouldn't affect the color or flavor for a five gallon batch. Personally if I was really concerned I would just get some dry yeast and use it.

Also, I should add that I'm using Danstar Nottingham yeast but it's an 8 gal batch and I wanna be sure.

Back