Adding gelatin to keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shawnduthie

Reaction score
So I have been researching adding gelatin to a keg as finings, but cannot find one definitive answer on how it is best done.

Some day to boil the water, others say 45 seconds in the microwave is enough for sanitation. Some say to use 3g, others say to use 10g. Some say to let the gelatin bloom (Moisturize) and others throw it in right away.

So what is the best way to pitch gelatin into a19 litre corny keg?

Here's how I do it. Use distilled water about a cup. Add gelatin. Put in microwave. Heat it up in 10 second increments until 150f is reached......the solution will clear between 150 and 160f. When it clears stir and add directly to keg. The keg and beer in it should be cold. As close to 32 as you can get it.

Oh yeah I'd use half a pack of Knox unflavored gelatin from the grocery store. I'd guess its about a five gram pack. So 2.5 grams. Or use 5 ......it won't hurt any. No need to stir........just give it a few days and don't move the keg. First few pints will be cloudy then brilliant beer.

Do not heat the gelatin above 165 or it will be "denatured" and will not work.

Let me know if ya have questions.

What about sanitation for the water? Do you not need to boil it first or will the minute in the microwave do the trick?

What about sanitation for the water? Do you not need to boil it first or will the minute in the microwave do the trick?

The 155-160 temp will be fine. I don't pre boil the water in mine. If anything survived that hot spell of water the alcohol in the beer will take care of it.

Here is what I did and I am thus far very impressed with the clean results. For the sake of full disclosure, I dont secondary, just long primary then cold crash in a 35 degree fridge for two days. Then fine the already cold beer as follows.

Bloom 1 tsp of unflavored gelatin (I used the store bought stuff---worked just fine) in cool water for about 20-30 mins. My tap water is good, but you may want to use bottled.

Zap it in the microwave in 15 second increments and stir between. Repeat this until the liquid is clear. In other words till you can see through the glass, but do not boil. takes me about 3-4 15 second nukes.

Pour it into the keg, and pressurize/purge as normal.

After you seat your lid, rock the keg back and forth a few times.

Three days later, I tossed half a pint (not multiple pints) and the rest is brilliantly clear. If you need to see a visual of this check out donosborn on youtube. He is down to earth in his approach and gives some good visual references

Here is what I did and I am thus far very impressed with the clean results. For the sake of full disclosure, I dont secondary, just long primary then cold crash in a 35 degree fridge for two days. Then fine the already cold beer as follows.

Bloom 1 tsp of unflavored gelatin (I used the store bought stuff---worked just fine) in cool water for about 20-30 mins. My tap water is good, but you may want to use bottled.

Zap it in the microwave in 15 second increments and stir between. Repeat this until the liquid is clear. In other words till you can see through the glass, but do not boil. takes me about 3-4 15 second nukes.

Pour it into the keg, and pressurize/purge as normal.

After you seat your lid, rock the keg back and forth a few times.

Three days later, I tossed half a pint (not multiple pints) and the rest is brilliantly clear. If you need to see a visual of this check out donosborn on youtube. He is down to earth in his approach and gives some good visual references

I do this except that I also boil for 5 minutes then cover and cool the water used.... just cuz I'm a sanitation nazi

Latest posts

Back