Keezer collar will allow for 26" of height - need advice on corny keg heights

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thehopbandit

Reaction score
I am planning to make a Keezer collar for my rather small chest freezer. The freezer has a hump on the bottom of one side that takes away a lot of usable space. Therefore I am planning to either do a 2x8 or 2x10 collar to add extra clearance.

With the 2x8 collar, the clearance from that hump to the lid will be just about 26". My original plans are to do a 2x8 inner collar with a 1x10 overhang outer collar so that I could just set it over the chest. Therefore, I would really like to stick with the 2x8 collar if at all possible, but I am concerned about it being just a very tiny amount off for a corny keg.

From what I have read, the height of corny kegs vary from around 23"-27" or so with the fittings on. For those of you out there with corny kegs, could you tell me the exact "real-world" height of your keg and please list the type (ball vs pin lock)? What would you do in this situation?

nope it is just to the very top of the handle.. It looks like you need to add an inch or two with connectors... 26 inches is going to be close... I think too close. I think you need to go with a couple extra inches of clearance to fit a 5G ball lock on the hump.

Personally I'd go ahead and get my kegs, hook them up and measure myself.. then go by the size wood I need. I wouldn't trust measurements from someone else. That's just me.

Thanks so much! Did that measurement include the extra height from the connections, tubes, etc?

I'm going to say: "No".

I get exactly 25" to the top of the rubber, but with a plastic QD with flare connection attached, you need another inch to get the high point of the tubing to QD flare connection to fit. I suspect if you used QDs with barbs instead of MFL connections you could cut a quarter inch or so off that.

Bottom line: if you have an honest 26", they'll fit. But barely...

Cheers!

Cool, thanks for the replies! I appreciate the advice and help. I'll take a look at some more keg options and then go with the measurements from there.

Converted pin lock kegs, I presume. As long as the wider diameter vs a true ball lock keg isn't a problem, these can indeed solve height issues...

Cheers!

The kegs I received were not converted pin locks from the US.
They were either Chinese or Korean.

Back