Pale Ale Amarillo SMaSH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddyWeiser

Reaction score
I have my first SMaSH sitting in the fermenter. The recipe I used is below. Suggestions welcome!

10# Pale Ale Malt
2 oz Amarillo pellets (9.3% alpha/6.1% beta) @ 15 min (29.9 IBUs)
1 oz Amarillo pellets @ 0 min (0 IBUs)
US-05 dry yeast pack

Mashed @ 153 for 60 min.
My OG = 1.040/Est OG = 1.042. My FG = 1.007/Est FG = 1.011.

I poured my hydrometer reading into a glass of ice cubes and the taste was great! I aimed for just enough hops for taste/aroma but not enough to overwhelm the malt flavor/aroma. I plan to drink it fast before the hops have time to fade. Besides, the LHBS only had 3 oz of Amarillo left. :)

I really like Amarillo, but after brewing two pale ales that were heavy on Amarillo, I'd have to say that I like this hop best with other hops for balance. On its own, Amarillo is really fruity and a little funky (like underarm or MJ funky). This may also be individual to my beers, but I find the aroma and flavor of Amarillo a little front-loaded. Its hits hard and then its gone.

I really like Cascades with Amarillo, which seems to cut into the Amarillo funk and provides a more dimensional aroma.

Yeah, good point! I didn't notice any funk, but I totally agree that Amarillo might not be the best for a single hop brew. I've used it with other hops in beers and really just wanted to do a SMaSH so I could better identify its flavor. Last month I did an IPA that had Amarillo and Simcoe, and Simcoe was the better and more flavorful hop IMO. I can be sure of that now that I've brewed this SMaSH.

Dry hop with some more amarillo!! I had always wondered where than overripe pineapple aroma came from until I bought a pound of amarillo to play with.

Here are my results:
Pale Ale Malt = Yellow, slightly sweet, and awesome.
Amarillo Hops = Floral and pineapple-like aroma. Citric/tart and pineapple-like flavor. (Almost like lime + pineapple.)

Amarillo seems like a natural choice for tropical or Hawaiian punch themed beers. Amarillo might also be a good choice for fruit beers. As mentioned above, you may want to consider using additional hop varieties to round out the flavor.

Also, please note that I used 2 oz of Amarillo hops at 15 min. This might be a large reason for the intense citric flavor I am tasting. A half ounce flavor addition may have been more appropriate for Amarillo (or other high alpha) hops.
palealemaltamarillohopsmash-57092.jpg

Looks nice! I did an all amarillo IPA. I agree with the poster that said this hop is at it's best in combination with others. It's all fruit and no punch. Which is why Simcoe is my favorite hop...it's like Amarillo/Chinook already put together!

Back