Can't syphon to save my life...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobwantbeer

Reaction score
I waited ever so patiently for ten whole days and my first attempt to rack into secondary fermentation failed miserably. I went blue in the face but could never achieve a steady syphon. All I did was swallow a bunch of my partially fermented beer.(Caught a noticeable buzz actually) What went wrong? I also have a **** ton of sediment on the bottom of my primary which may have something to do with it. I tried rubber banding a grain bag to the end of my cane. help...

The sediment (called trub) is normal and will always be there. If you're using a plain racking cane and had it sitting in that I'm not surprised you had a problem with your syphon. I would suggest getting an auto-syphon, it's the best $8 you will ever spend. Failing that start with the syphon tube high in the beer and lower it slowly with the liquid level.

You dont want to start a syphon with your mouth. The bacteria in your mouth could infect your beer. To start a syphon, fill the syphon hose with water. Then connect it to the racking tube which should already be in your beer. Then just lower the hose, the water in the hose will draw the beer out. When the beer starts to flow out, squeeze the hose and attach your bottling wand if you have one.

I'd go with the auto siphon. I was always making a mess in the kitchen getting the flow started. Got an auto siphon a couple brew ago and wanted to kick myself for not getting one sooner. A pump or two and its on. :mug:

Don't forget the end your sucking needs to be lower in hight than your brew, I have my beer on the bench and recieving vessel on the floor. If your using 1/2 inch tube rather than 3/8th tube this will make it harder,if you need to take a second breath stick your tongue in the end of the tube to hold the beer in the syphon tube then suck again. once you get the hang of it, it's quick and easy.If you do get a mouth full of beer whats the problem? it's gona end up in there anyway. I've been sucking for 15 years with no problems (pretty good at it too.:eek: ) but i suppose a hand job (Auto syphon) is ok if thats what you've got.

One thing that hinders a siphon is when your siphon hose isn't fitting snugly enough on your racking cane. If that connection is snug, there should be no troubles.

Are you using a bucket? if so, perhaps you might get one of these along with a spigot and eliminate siphoning altogether.

Are you using a carboy or Better Bottle? Then try a carboy cap. All you need to do is run your racking cane through the big hole, and blow into the small hole(insert smart-a$$ comment here) until your siphon is started.

Bernie Brewer said:
Are you using a carboy or Better Bottle? Then try a carboy cap. All you need to do is run your racking cane through the big hole, and blow into the small hole(insert smart-a$$ comment here) until your siphon is started.

+1. Worked like a champ for me this morning.

+1 for the carboy cap... it works great, and can work on either end of the siphon... if siphoning from a bucket to a carboy, put it on the carboy, with your hose in the main hole, and suck instead of blow... (insert even more crude comments here...) :drunk:

Brew chick said:
...I've been sucking for 15 years with no problems (pretty good at it too.:eek: ) but i suppose a hand job (Auto syphon) is ok if thats what you've got.

Lol am I the only person that tottaly cracked up at this? (yes my mind is filthy), it was especially funny before I looked at who posted it and assumed that it was a guy. :D

I must say I love my better bottles, cos it means that I don't need to siphon at all and I really wouldn't trust myself with siphoning, I'm sure I would suck at it (no pun intended, well actually maybe just a little:cross: )

rdwj said:
Stupid question, but you did have one vessel higher than the other one, right?

There's no such thing as a stupid question. There's just a lot of inquisitive idiots.

we had the primary higher up. Gravity just doesn't like me. Thank you all I will be purchasing a carboy cap and auto syphon very soon.

Back