1st Brewday this weekend, but I'm already thinking ahead to the next brewday.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfire

Reaction score
Looks like I'm taking the plunge this Saturday with my first brew of "Caribou Slobber", which I plan on kegging.

I would really like to start next weekend off with a Chocolate Raspberry stout seen here
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?cPath=178_452_42_159&products_id=11253

What do I need to do different? Can I keg this stout and push it with the same CO2, or do I need a nitrogen setup?

Is this a different brewing technique for the stout?

Looking forward to the replies!

Thanks,

jfire

I made that kit as my fourth of fifth batch. Word of caution, use the raspberry extract sparingly or you will be waiting a good long while before it doesn't taste like you got kicked in mouth with raspberries. I think I used 2/3s of the bottle, but I'd start with 1/4 at kegging time and taste it to decide if you want more.

Techniques aren't going to vary much from batch to batch, so you should be good there. As far as kegging, you can carb and dispense with the same CO2 you use for anything else. Beer gas is nice, but it requires a special faucet and other additional expenses. I carb and push all my stouts with CO2.

you do NOT need nitrogen. just use CO2.

for a bar, nitrogen ensures that the beer does not get more carbonated after it leaves the factory. you are the factory. you get to carbonate the beer to any level you prefer.

Back