Re-use yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Volkman

Reaction score
I make wine from kits, mostly from Wine Expert. I have just purchased a liquid yeast for the first time and am interested in re-using it on the next batch of the same style wine. What is the procedure for reclaiming the yeast? How should it be stored? What is the proceudre for re activating it for the next batch?

Thanks. I did a search on washing yeast but did not find what I am looking for. What I want to know is what is the best method for recovering the yeast. Is it recovered after primary or secondary fermentation? Is it best done by siphoning it off or pouring? How much should be saved? I assume it should be refrigerated until the next use. What is the best method for reactivating?

One question at a time:

Q: I did a search on washing yeast but did not find what I am looking for. What I want to know is what is the best method for recovering the yeast.

A: Try a search for "yeast washing". There are plenty of hits. Harvest your yeast after you rack the beer into the secondary.

Q: Is it recovered after primary or secondary fermentation?

A: Primary.

Q: Is it best done by siphoning it off or pouring?

A: Boil and cool a minimum of 1/2 gal of water. Pour it into the primary and swirl it around to mix the trub off of the bottom of the container. Pour that into a gal jug for seperation.

Q: How much should be saved?

A: All of it. The trub and yeast should seperate during the process. Discard the trub/sediment. Save the yeast.

Q: I assume it should be refrigerated until the next use.

A: Correct. Once washed.

Q: What is the best method for reactivating?

A: Make a starter.

Latest posts

Back