Three questions about three types of cider!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
Well firstly i have one gallon of newbie graff, i say newbie, as the OG was way too high, and i made a massive mistake of thinking DME was dark malt extract, not dry malt extract :p
Its now fermented and outside in the cold at 1.005ish, but its way strong, it tastes of alcahol a tad too much, and warms you all the way down, but apart from that its not too bad of a taste. Oh also i carbed it in a plastic demijon by using priming sugar and sealing it before i put it outside so its nice and carbed now.

My question is, what would be best to add to this when bottling, just normal apple juice? If i add apple juice to taste, then find the right ration of graff/juice when i bottle hopefully that will be ok right?
Also even though ive cold crashed, as there may be yeast left and i dont want bottle bombs, if i were to cap and put my sealed bottles on a hot wash in the dishwasher, would i be right in thinking this will heat pasturise my cider, and the yeast will be dead? will this alter the taste in any way?

My second question is about a cider kit i used. I brewed a 5 gal batch of cider form the concentrate that came with the kit. I used half white sugar, and half molasses, and again moved it outside when the FG was around 1.005. When i tasted it at this stage, it had a strong sulpher (rotten eggish kinda smell?) and tasted very strange, not very pleasent and yeasty.

Its sat in the cold outside for around 4 days now still in the primary fermentation barrel, any suggestions on how to make this drinkable?

Finally, my first ever brew ages ago was a thrown together cyser. It was store bought apple juice with alot of honey and sugar in it. Its finally stopped fermenting, after around two months, and it does have a lovely sweet smell. Although it again, has a very alcaholic taste, and warms you for a while after you drink it, so again my OG was way to high.

Any idea on how to weaken this down, what to add as i bottle it?

Any help on these would be great, as ive run out of my first batch of fresh pressed cider! And i dont have all the stuff for a proper batch of real graff!

Also, in the graff i used a gold ale yeast, in the kit 5gal batch, i used the cider yeat sand nutrient that came with it, and i sadly used a champagne yeast in my cyser

Thanks again!

Sounds like you need to be more patient. Time is the only thing that will help that alcohol taste mellow out. The reason that Apfelwine is so good after a year+ is because the warm alcohol taste mellows out and it tastes more and more like applejuice.

Dont add anything to them, just learn in the future, adjust your recipes and give them some time

Yea i thought i might have to just wait. I can wait for the mead, thats no problem. Just really want the Graff haha!

Also, i just remembered i have another 5gal barrel on fresh apple juice that i pressed around a month ago. It fermented in a bucket for two weeks, then i moved it to this barrel where its sat for over three weeks, havent tasted it but i imagine its very dry but again has that eggy smell to it. Is this just because it has been under an airlock so this smell hasent been able to leave? I hope its doesn't taste too much like the smell

Your probably smelling what we refer to as "elephant farts" its a very common smell when fermenting apples. Dont worry, all my apfelwine has smelled like ass, but tasted great!

Your probably smelling what we refer to as "elephant farts" its a very common smell when fermenting apples. Dont worry, all my apfelwine has smelled like ass, but tasted great!

Does it continue to smell like ass while you are drinking it?

Your best option might be to bring it out of the cold to allow the yeast to clean up the fusel alcohols and off flavors.

well, each and everyone of my ciders tastes **** haha
not sure how to describe the taste. its dryish, and just well i dont like it
which is a shame.

have bottled it and will age it for a month or more and see if it improves

Latest posts

Back