Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigdaddy187

Reaction score
Hey all,
So I started a 5 gallon batch of apfelwein in my house in February using a yeast that was supposed to take it to 20%. It has been sitting here ever since (work got me busy...). The few times the airlock stopped bubbling due to suckback I refilled it. Now it is sitting still and even if i push on the bottle the airlock doesn't bubble. My question is if you think this batch would still be good to drink?
Thanks

Thanks guys... and to hijack my own thread, how much should i bring for 30ish thirsty friends in their early 20s? this stuff is kicking around 20% mind you. also, i heard someone cutting the higher abv with sprite. good idea or just backsweeten with more apple juice?

I like it mixed with Martinelli's sparkling cider but Spite works good too. I'm kind of a whimpy drinker so straight up is hard for me to drink very much.

Thanks guys... and to hijack my own thread, how much should i bring for 30ish thirsty friends in their early 20s? this stuff is kicking around 20% mind you. also, i heard someone cutting the higher abv with sprite. good idea or just backsweeten with more apple juice?

Now, did you actually add enough sugar to get it that high, or did you just use a yeast that can tolerate 20%. Because if it is the latter, you are probably quite a bit off on your abv.

If it's 20% abv, then it'll taste like jet fuel for at least two years. How much sugar did you add?

True I never thought if i added enough sugar. I added 2 lbs of corn sugar on top of the already sugar-laden apple juice.

To get to 20%you would have needed to add sugar as it fermented. Turbo yeast will take it that high only if it has enough sugar. Bet if you back sweeten it right now the turbo yeast would start again(if you stabilized).
Answer to how much to take to 30 20 year old. Take it all and you will have to go to store for beer before night is over

True I never thought if i added enough sugar. I added 2 lbs of corn sugar on top of the already sugar-laden apple juice.

Then you're probably at 8-10% ABV. The yeast tolerance doesn't matter- what matters is the fermentables you put in it. If you put two pounds of corn sugar into 5 gallons of apple juice, the OG was probably around 1.065ish. If it finished dry, at .990, that would give you about 10% alcohol by volume. It could be less, if the OG was less.

Back