Bung fell into wort, replacement?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RJRobb2

Reaction score
So I just syphoned my wort into my carboy and then pitched my yeast. I put my bung into the top and when I went to push my airlock onto the bung, it well down into the wort. Now I just sanitized the bung so I am not worried about that but what I can do to replace the bung? This thing is going to start fermenting soon and I dont know what to do.

Whatever you do don't go in after the bung.

Ok, I've got an idea. (assuming that you don't have another bung to stick on there). Take your airlock and put it in the neck of your carboy. Then wrap a solid piece of duct tape around the neck to make an airtight seal between the airlock and the neck. Fermentation shouldn't be too bad till you can get a bung tomorrow at your LHBS. Maybe seran wrap instead of duct tape. I don't know, just make it airtight.

LBS is closed tomorrow and I somehow dont have duct tape or atleast I cant find it. I tried seran wrap but once I put the airlock in it, it is no longer airtight.

Note to self - buy extra bungs.

In that case, seran wrap it is. Thanks for the suggestions. Hopefully, this works out because I was really looking forward to this batch.

How about a plastic cup over the neck of the carboy with a small hole made in it, then the seran wrap and airlock? Just an idea........

We use Saran Wrap wall the time to seal around our blowoff hose (which we use every time). I'm thinking Saran Wrap over the enclosure with a rubber band, then pinprick it. CO2 will go out but bacteria in dust won't fall in. This will give you time to go get another bung.

As long as you have active fermentation, I wouldn't worry too much about it at all. Outgassing is your friend in this instance.

Check out the universal carboy bungs. I like them quite a bit.

Sanitized foil? No worry about holding air in, keeps out dust, etc.

Seems like quite a few use foil for starters... your beer is a huge starter...

foil or plastic wrap and tomarrow go get a blow off tube at home depot tomorrow.

I just took a piece of Seran Wrap and pulled it tight over the top and put a rubber band around the neck. I then slit a small hole with scissors and slipped my airlock in.

I will let you all know how that holds up. Thanks again for the tips.

Well, my beer seems to be doing great as it has a nice 3-4 inch head of foam on it so the fermentation is looking good. I will be able to get a bung after work tomorrow so it looks like its going to work out.

Back