Lets start a tattoo thread!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hard to get a good pic of the full sleeve lady justice tat. (I'm an attorney). Giraffe is for my daughter.

image-194644050.jpg

image-2817711189.jpg

Im having an issue. I got tattoed about a year and a half ago, the guy was heavy handed and tatooed to deep, but they healed up fine initailly.
Now they are stating to raise up like there inflamed, over a year later. Ine has been itching like mad and the pigment is coming out in dry skin. Is that normal? He was a legit pro just heavy handed. Now the line work is fading as is the shading as it peels

bobbrews said:
I agree that you gotta live in the moment and experience life to it's fullest. But that doesn't mean that you need a skull and crossbones on your neck to reach that goal.

I used to feel the same way. Still do, to a large extent... I'm a pretty anxious person so I probably always will.

Oddly enough, that's actually a big part of WHY I got a tattoo (upper right arm. I'll post a pic when I can find it) - it was basically a giant "**** you" to that part of myself, a constant reminder that I can't always take life so seriously.

tattoos should never be puffed up or raised. you body probably scarred because of the digging in. that or it is attacking the ink, either way, not normal. when you rub your hand over a tattoo done right, if your eyes are closed, you shouldn't be able to tell where it begins by feel.

lex990 said:
tattoos should never be puffed up or raised. you body probably scarred because of the digging in. that or it is attacking the ink.

Inflammation is an immune system response, so it would indicate the latter, if anything. Admittedly, I'm not an expert tattoos so I can't say for certain WHY there might be an immune response though.

Something bad in the ink could do it, but I doubt it would only start causing problems after so long. I'm not sure if going too far into the dermis or subcutaneous tissue could somehow cause an issue over a year later, but it seems most likely.

tattoos should never be puffed up or raised. you body probably scarred because of the digging in. that or it is attacking the ink, either way, not normal. when you rub your hand over a tattoo done right, if your eyes are closed, you shouldn't be able to tell where it begins by feel.

It wasnt puffed up when it was done [well besides scabbing up very slighly], It is only now starting to puff up and flake [kind of like a sunburn] its wierd, either way I'm gonna call my doc and check with him.

The last one was done by my brother-in-law who was trying to get into tattooing. I plan on completing my entire lower right leg at some point with that part being dressed up better. It's a representation of Orion from the 1500's. I've always loved that constellation because it is very prominent over the entire east coast during the fall, my favorite season. The Eagle was still healing in this picture btw. It's 4 years old now.

082607 - My New Tattoo.jpg

DSCN1157.jpg

DSCN1128.jpg

And here's my "brewing" wizard. This is a crappy picture that I just took (I couldn't find a good one on my computer), but within the spell above his head are 4 symbols I drew representing hops, water, yeast and barley. This was a major revamping of one of my first tattoos. The wizard was originally taken out of a Windows 95 book of clip art. ;)

photo.jpg

Yep......

What is that brand new tattoo going to look like when you are 80 and all the firm skin is all sagging and wrinkled????

Who would I be trying to impress when I'm 80 for FECKS sake?! Not your tattoo bashing sorry ass! Sounds like all you brew is haterade. This is a beer brew forum not a downerfest.

As to the thread topic... I'll post mine after I get it around X-mas. You hop heads will like it. Sassy pants future doomer above can look away. :rockin:

IMO just about the dumbest things you can do to your body.

1) scarification
2) piercings
3) tattoos

Really, I change out the pictures on the walls of my house when I get tired of them. Really hard to do with tattoos.

Don't you have some wall pictures to change? Or do you just enjoy worrying about what other people do more than your boring life of moving Kincaids around the house?

I've been trying to figure out what to get for my two daughters recently. I'm going to start fixing up my lower right calf where the Orion is. On the other side is a sun I got when I was 18. I'll probably fix-up and add some color to the sun, then add something for my daughters around it.

Looks like you've got some leprosy on that arm. :D

I kid, I kid. My wife's a ginger and I claim she's got leprosy. The tattoo looks good. I dig the bold lines on the banner. Thanks for sharing.

A tattoo I got years ago, recently had it touched up. Also have my ribs done, worst pain I have ever felt

image-648132504.jpg

Attachments

• image-536382989.jpg
    image-536382989.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 373
  • image-908316742.jpg
    image-908316742.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 370
  • image-606600057.jpg
    image-606600057.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 363
  • image-640752719.jpg
    image-640752719.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 392
I'm debating on another one. Thinking a Tree of Life tattoo in the center of my upper back. Between the shoulder blades. However I'll be using a picture of a tree that I used to pass all the time on the way to college. Always had the sun setting behind it. A great memory combined with the meaning of the tree of life.

BTW, on the back of my left arm I have an Ohio flag tattoo. I lived there for almost 28 years and didn't want to ignore where I came from. Well, Now I've been living in Arizona for over 5 years and it's time to get an Arizona flag tattoo. I'm getting the Arizona Flag above the Ohio flag and after that the entire arm will be full. I have a collage on my upper left arm due to getting tattoos without planning a sleeve, so I'm going to have my tattoo artist fill in the gaps however he sees fit. Once that's all done My left sleeve will be completed.

I have an appointment scheduled for Jan 12th for the AZ flag. I'm stoked to get some more work done.

My guy doesn't do appointments. I actually hate that with a passion, but they are too good to go anywhere else. My next free day I'm just going to head over there around noon when they open and deal with the wait. Most of the time they'll take a 500+ piece over people picking stars and birds off of the wall.

My guy doesn't do appointments. I actually hate that with a passion, but they are too good to go anywhere else. My next free day I'm just going to head over there around noon when they open and deal with the wait. Most of the time they'll take a 500+ piece over people picking stars and birds off of the wall.

There are Pros & Cons with any artist/shop. The only con that i can think of with my guy is the fact that he's always behind schedule. If I book for 5PM with him I'd be excited if I actually got in by 6PM. Other than that he's pretty much amazing. Please share with us your next tattoo.

dfc said:
There are Pros & Cons with any artist/shop. The only con that i can think of with my guy is the fact that he's always behind schedule. If I book for 5PM with him I'd be excited if I actually got in by 6PM. Other than that he's pretty much amazing. Please share with us your next tattoo.

That's hardly even a con, really, as it just indicates he'll take his time as needed. I'd actually be a bit concerned otherwise.

And it'd be silly to care about an hour or two of waiting. I mean, a tattoo is going to be with you permanently, so NOTHING should get in the way of getting a top-quality tattoo by a highly-skilled artist, be it petty stuff like wait times, or even matters of price.

Nothing is stupider in my book than compromising on a tattoo for the sake of price. It's going to be on your body until the day you die (and even afterwards!), so even if you have to wait longer than a year in order to save up enough money to afford the right tattoo by the right artist, then that should really be the only option you even so much as consider. I have one tattoo at the moment, but if I ever decide I wanted a second, there's a very good chance I'll even make a trip to another city (be it within Canada or internationally) in order to get it done by the exact artist I choose.

Now, some may choose to use a local artist for the sake of having the art of someone local, and that's cool too. All I'm really saying is to figure out exactly what you want (not simply what you can afford or what you think you'll have to settle for) and then stop at nothing to get it.

This post kind of derailed from what I was originally replying to, and many may already understand this all or see it as obvious, but I think it's solid advice regardless, so I'm going to post it anyways! :rockin:

I definitely would never compromise on price, but the lack of appointments bothers me. My tattoos take hours, and I prefer to have an idea of whether I'm actually going to get one or not when I head over there. But again, hands down they're the best around here, so I deal with it. This will be my 3rd from that shop.

The finished product. Never mind my white trash tattoo. I was young and used to get tattoos that didn't have meaning.

white trash? the barbed band? LoL

I had one myself... low part of my life out in Vegas, fiance had left me, job ****ty, bottle of Jager down & at a friend's house "ready to tatt".

That was a good 18 years ago maybe?

The past year I've been going in for sessions here in PA for cover up work. Once done you shouldn't even be able to tell it was a barbed band. My guy is awesome with cover ups... was his idea to turn the band into rocks and seaweed leafs. Work in progress!

12-31-11-700-57671.jpg

12-31-11-743-57672.jpg

Well, I didn't finish the sleeve, but I had a nice talk with my tattoo artist about how to finish it. He has WAY better ideas than I do and that's why I never became a tattoo artist. I suck at visual arts and have no imagination when it comes to that field of art. The funny thing is he claims the same regarding audio art. Regardless, here is a pic of the work I got done today.

AZ Flag.jpg

The flag of the state of Arizona consists of 13 rays of red and weld-yellow on the top half, the colors of the flag of Spain, representing the 13 original states. The red and yellow also symbolize Arizona's picturesque sunsets. The copper star represents the copper mining industry in Arizona. The rest of the flag is colored blue, representing liberty.

Pay special attention to the last sentence...

The cogs look really well done. Excellent details, coloring, and shading.

Yeah, it took me a while to even look for a new tattoo artist after I moved to AZ. I was getting screaming deals from a buddy who owns his own shop in Pittsburgh. Once I moved to AZ and decided to actually pay full price for tattoos I decided to go with Tony Olvera at Lady Luck Tattoo in Tempe. I kept going back and now he gives me screaming deals. I only paid $200 for 6 hours of work.

I recently talked to him about booking out a whole day and he wants me to be a client at a convention and do a good 8-10 hours. I'm stoked about that.

I have calf sleeves on both legs done 8-10yrs ago. I plan on starting a sleeve and a back piece soon and I'm contemplating doing my feet.

Front
fbs4JCv.jpg

Back
vorVTg2.jpg

My wife has a ton, including her feet.
VChtF4B.jpg

Back