Petite Saison d'Ete

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neo-brewer

Reaction score
Just bought a Petite Saison d'Ete kit from NB. The recipe does not include a secondary fermentation step. Does anyone recommend doing one - or is a single fermentation okay?

3711 is a little more forgiving about temps that the 3724. Wyeast list 65-77 as the recommended range. The lower end will produce less yeast falvor and at the higher end you will notice more yeast flavor. I often just put in a room that is about 70-72 degrees and let it do it's thing.

No need to go hot with. this yeast. 3711 is a beast and will ferment down very low.

I brewed a batch of the kit on 12/3. Liquid crystal thermometer read 66-68 during the fermentation period. On 12/16, it measured 2 points below the target FG. Remarkably, it tasted great for a green beer. Given the low ABV and the fact that it already tastes pretty decent, I saw no reason to put it in the secondary. I just left it in the primary in a ~64-degree room. I'll move it down to the basement for a couple of days to drop the temp. and bottle on 12/30 or 1/2.

3711 is a great yeast it can go very low and still have a nice mouthfeel.
You should be happy with your brew.

Thanks, guys. I brewed today. Looking forward to bottling this in January. I've heard that some people ferment in the 80s with 3711 (using heaters and what not) to get some of the spicier and peppery flavors. This was a different concept for me - but I'm open to trying it (at least into the higher 70s). I'll have to add some heat to where I normally ferment though, as it's only 66ish degrees.

Brewed this last week (5/27/16) using WLP565 yeast. OG is supposed to be 1.041, got it to 1.043; been fermenting at a constant 71 degrees F. Checked it today (6 days later) and it read 1.014.

What should the ABV for this kit end up being?

Back